Did you mean: 

Gave TARGET the boot !

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gave TARGET the boot !

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why would anyone close a "free" card? And a store card as well.

no annual fee, 5% off shopping- I mean yeah 200 is not a lot, but I really do not do any big ticket shopping at Target but the 5% on what I do buy is nice.

I mean I can understand if you want a credit limit increase to buy an ipad at 5% off, but, free card, no real credit impact of too much credit with a low limit, and a discount on shopping. Im ok with it 

Why open a card you don't use?  And why keep a card you don't intend to use?  IMO, OP made a good decision dropping it.

For me, I opened a Target (good CL) in the spring and used it constantly all summer.  I'm keeping mine.

I simply do not see that many people spending more then $200 on every occasion they shop there. The card was opened, it has already hit your fico. it is not costing you anything to keep it open.

And the OP did not say they would quit shopping there.

My point is simple: an instore 5% discount. even on Apple products- which is about the only way you can get an Apple discount.

Yes if I move to a state with no Giant Eagles I will probably close that account.

Message 11 of 18
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

Been a target card holder since 2005. My Credit score has reached 745 and my limit has stayed at 200. Its totally bogas but I love my target card and plus I have had it a long time. I think maybe I am just lost in the system.

Message 12 of 18
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why would anyone close a "free" card? And a store card as well.

no annual fee, 5% off shopping- I mean yeah 200 is not a lot, but I really do not do any big ticket shopping at Target but the 5% on what I do buy is nice.

I mean I can understand if you want a credit limit increase to buy an ipad at 5% off, but, free card, no real credit impact of too much credit with a low limit, and a discount on shopping. Im ok with it 

Why open a card you don't use?  And why keep a card you don't intend to use?  IMO, OP made a good decision dropping it.

For me, I opened a Target (good CL) in the spring and used it constantly all summer.  I'm keeping mine.

I simply do not see that many people spending more then $200 on every occasion they shop there. The card was opened, it has already hit your fico. it is not costing you anything to keep it open.

And the OP did not say they would quit shopping there.

My point is simple: an instore 5% discount. even on Apple products- which is about the only way you can get an Apple discount.

Yes if I move to a state with no Giant Eagles I will probably close that account.

From a practical point of view, most people pay their credit card bills when they are due.   If that is your custom, , your Cl needs to be at least 3 or 4 times your monthly charges, to stay comfortably under your limit.  If you are a regular customer, $200 is way too small.   If you are not a regular customer, I don't see the point of having a card.

Message 13 of 18
mross1080
Established Contributor

I have the card and have a 300 limit. I wont spend more than 50 bucks on the card even though I pay it the next day. I just get squimish about even thinking about charging anywhere near my limit. There crappy limits is def. bad for there business. If I head out to go shopping with the DW and where going to buy a good amount of stuff I always head to walmart because they gave me a higher limit. Target only gets the leftover crumbs of small shopping trips. Its got to be at least a couple thousand a year there losing from just me.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can relate to BOTH sides of this! When I got mine which was fairly recently, I thought are you kidding me?? what the heck am I gonna do with $200?? But then I had to remember that at least I was approved and that maybe in time I'll have a reward coming??? My credit was crappy and I didn't care until I wanted to by a house then it all changed from there. Walmart only gave me $150...so I'll be working on getting that one higher

Message 15 of 18
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Walmart only gave me $150...so I'll be working on getting that one higher

It took about 5 years but my Sams card went from 300 to 4100.  For GEMB, don't ask for a CLI, let them come to you.  Treat them right and they will.

IMHO Target sets CLs on in store applications not only on income but may look at FICO score more  DW got an instant approval in store for  2k Target card last year but doesn't have the income to support it.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm really new to the credit family so I was in TOTAL shock when I got a CC from OLD NAVY for $1,800 then JCPENNY for $700 which are both GEMB. So I love them as much as they love me Smiley Wink. I have charged some but I have also paid back in really BIG chunks so I'm really happy with it!

Message 17 of 18
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

I have only had my target card a year. Used it alot and it was only 200.00. Then it, all of a sudden went to 1000.00 and now it is 1500.00. These took place about 4 months apart. I am very pleased with them.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.