Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Credit Card Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

General Credit Card Question

Once I pay off several cards I want to stick them in a drawer and forget them for a while, if not forever, but I don't want to close them.  None of my bills come in the mail so I have to actively log on to the CC site to pay and reconcile.  I use Quicken and "most" times it updates, but it isn't foolproof especially the newest version from what I've read.  My concern is if an annual fee were to post and go unnoticed could the CC company start tacking on late fees and screw my credit up?  Thanks for any input, sorry if I'm over-thinking this, but the stupid fees are what pissed me off before and got me in trouble when I refused to pay them.  I'm still paying the price for my bullheadedness.  That game of chicken isn't set up for the little guy.  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: General Credit Card Question

@Anonymous wrote:

Once I pay off several cards I want to stick them in a drawer and forget them for a while, if not forever, but I don't want to close them.  None of my bills come in the mail so I have to actively log on to the CC site to pay and reconcile.  I use Quicken and "most" times it updates, but it isn't foolproof especially the newest version from what I've read.  My concern is if an annual fee were to post and go unnoticed could the CC company start tacking on late fees and screw my credit up?  Thanks for any input, sorry if I'm over-thinking this, but the stupid fees are what pissed me off before and got me in trouble when I refused to pay them.  I'm still paying the price for my bullheadedness.  That game of chicken isn't set up for the little guy.  

Welcome to the forums.

What I do for most of my cards is have them auto pay a recurring monthly expense that I'd have to pay anyway. I use this method to pay my water, gas, cable, XM radio bills, etc.

This way they show activity and I don't have to keep up with all that.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 11
dharalex
Established Contributor

Absolutely! That's how I got a 30 day late with cap one. I had paperless statements, and I never used the card. When the AF became due, I had no idea since I never got on the site. I found out because they called me looking for payment. They dropped the late fee, but not the late on my report...please find a way to keep track, or don't use cards with Afs.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My concern is if an annual fee were to post and go unnoticed could the CC company start tacking on late fees and screw my credit up? 

Absolutely!

Is there any way that you can get a text message or email when the bill is ready to be viewed?  I also like MarineVietVet's idea of paying a monthly bill with the CC to keep the activity going and not get caught off guard with an AF.

Another great idea is to stash away the card(s) that doesn't have an AF so that you don't have to worry about a late fee.  Or switch back to paper billing when the card is put away.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums.

What I do for most of my cards is have them auto pay a recurring monthly expense that I'd have to pay anyway. I use this method to pay my water, gas, cable, XM radio bills, etc.

This way they show activity and I don't have to keep up with all that.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Thanks for the quick replies!  MarineVietVet, that sounds like a good idea.  I've been hesitant to the autopay for a while now because one vendor went hogwild on my account once and charged me 4 times in error.  Had it been a minimum payment I would have been less agitated, but it was for the whole balance x 4 in one month, right in the middle of a PCS move across country as I was getting ready to deploy.  It always works that way.  I will take your suggestion under advisement.

Semper Fi from a retired corpsman.  Not corpse man Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My concern is if an annual fee were to post and go unnoticed could the CC company start tacking on late fees and screw my credit up? 

Absolutely!

Is there any way that you can get a text message or email when the bill is ready to be viewed?  I also like MarineVietVet's idea of paying a monthly bill with the CC to keep the activity going and not get caught off guard with an AF.

Another great idea is to stash away the card(s) that doesn't have an AF so that you don't have to worry about a late fee.  Or switch back to paper billing when the card is put away.

Switching back to paper billing was my first thought, but I was hoping to avoid that.  I really dislike having to shred all of the statements, that's why I've gone paperless in the first place.  I was hoping for something I really knew the answer to but didn't want face.  Thanks for your response.  I may have to give in and agree to let the CC company make auto-payments as the least bothersome method.

Message 6 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Well, I'm old fashioned and like to have paper statements. The only one I've switched to paperless is Walmart, and that was only to get the free FICO.

One thing you could do, if you don't want to switch to paper, is set it up as a recurring appointment (annual) in Outlook, or whatever calendar you use. That will remind you to log on and pay the AF.

I'm also wondering why you are keeping CCs w/AFs that you don't want to use. If it's for your AAoA, you might want to cancel some, since it won't affect your aging for 10 years and by then, you'll have more history established. Just food for thought.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies!  MarineVietVet, that sounds like a good idea.  I've been hesitant to the autopay for a while now because one vendor went hogwild on my account once and charged me 4 times in error.  Had it been a minimum payment I would have been less agitated, but it was for the whole balance x 4 in one month, right in the middle of a PCS move across country as I was getting ready to deploy.  It always works that way.  I will take your suggestion under advisement.

Semper Fi from a retired corpsman.  Not corpse man Smiley Happy

I understand. Like any system you have to be diligent about keeping track and making sure all is working as it should. I check all my accounts everyday (sometimes more than once a day) to make sure there are no surprises.

A corpman huh? We Marines looked at you guys as sort of little brothers. We could harass you and pick on you but by golly there better not be anyone else mess with you!!  Smiley Happy

And in all seriousness there was no one we admired and respected more than our "Docs".

SEMPER FI

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dharalex wrote:
Absolutely! That's how I got a 30 day late with cap one. I had paperless statements, and I never used the card. When the AF became due, I had no idea since I never got on the site. I found out because they called me looking for payment. They dropped the late fee, but not the late on my report...please find a way to keep track, or don't use cards with Afs.

Don't get me started on Cap 1.  They are the company that aggravated me a while back before I realized that it was a no win game.  I thought that since I was a long-time customer with a high limit and frequent user that they would succumb to my ulimatum.  Long story short, NOPE!  Funny thing though, I had another card with them and was treated as if nothing ever happened.

Message 9 of 11
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Ugh, I hate the idea of electronic statements.  I have one account set up for e-statements.  My closed walmart card and that's only for the TU score. 

Recently, my best buy store card decided to enroll itself in e-statements, for the second time.  I get an email on Jan 31 saying my due date is approaching (2/12/12) and that I was receiving this alert because I RECENTLY enrolled in e-statements.  Oh no I did not.  So I log onto my account and see that a payment was due on Jan 12.  Great missed that payment!  Since opening this account in Aug 2011 I have never opted for e-statements and have had to opt out for this "service" twice now.  When enrolled in e-statements with best buy store card you are supposed to get alerts when your statement is ready, didn't get one of those for December when this statement supposedly cut.  You are supposed to get reminders your payment is approaching, didn't get that for Jan payment.  You are supposed to get missed payment alerts.  Didn't get that either.  And that's why I won't trust the e-statements.  It was on me to remember that I used the card for Christmas and it did slip my mind.  So it is on me.  But when these services are supposed to provide alerts and if those alerts never come and you do forget, you are screwed.  I immediately made my payment and it posted on Feb 2 so I hope and pray it doesn't report as a 30-day late.  It wasn't 30 days.  But I did get hit with a $25 late fee assessment and the ~$200 purchase that was on a 0% interest for 18 months plan is now being charged interest.  Not concerned about that as I'm PIF in anyways.  So frustrating. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.