Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Feedback On Fidelity AMEX and Visa

tag
jake619
Frequent Contributor

General Feedback On Fidelity AMEX and Visa

Either of these would make great companion cards to my brokerage account at Fidelity, but I see these are FIA-backed cards and most of the reviews I've read indicate FIA (in the case of AMEX) seems to be tarnishing AMEX's reputation, and both the AMEX and VISA flavors seem to have a track record for higher than normal decline rates at points of sale.  While I like the idea of the rewards being deposited directly into the brokerage account, is it worth the risk of declines when purchasing?

I generally hold BofA in low regard, and FIA is an extension of them so that alone makes me hesitant, but those rewards seem to play into my cash flow.

What are your opinions of these cards - VISA or AMEX variety?  Positive and negatives appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: General Feedback On Fidelity AMEX and Visa

I just got the Amex variety at the beginning of Nov, and reading a lot of stuff here I was also concerned about PoS rejection.  However, I have made 30 (just counted!) purchase transactions this month and had no problems at all.  (However, they were all fairly small, total of about $2100, so $70 average)

So far, it's good.   I was just short of the 5,000 points (including bonuses) so I can't say how well the auto transfer into the brokerage account goes, that will happen next month.

Edit:  The web site looks like it was made for Mosaic (for those old enough!) but the needed functionality is all there.  More useful than US Bank and PenFed for example, less good than Chase.

Message 2 of 8
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

Edit:  The web site looks like it was made for Mosaic (for those old enough!) but the needed functionality is all there.  More useful than US Bank and PenFed for example, less good than Chase.

Oh great, web 0.1.  Mosaic...and AOL dial-up.  

Glad to hear about good PoS experiences.  On Fido's website a lot of the folks bad-rapping the card were 55+.  No disrespect to them, but I translate that to my parents and how they (would) behave - there's definitely a different level of expectation for them.  Example: I tolerate dropped cell calls, they go ballistic.  In a way they're web 0.1 them self!

I would like to get back into AMEX, and the Fidelity link would be a win-win.  I do have reservations about AMEX's involvement seeing that FIA backs the Fido card.  From what I gather FIA does the CS for the cardholders, not AMEX themself - could be wrong.  I've spent so much time repairing my credit since the (read: my) meltdown I really don't want to "waste" any apps.  I'll keep my eye on this.  Thanks for the feedback.

Message 3 of 8
bs6054
Valued Contributor

OK, just to test, I tried to add the Fidelity Amex to the site where I view my Blue Cash Preferred card data.

This Card is issued and serviced by BANK OF AMERICA CORP ; and, therefore, cannot be registered on this site.
The American Express Blue Box on the card signifies the card is accepted at all American Express merchant locations.

So yes, really limited connection with AMEX!

Message 4 of 8
jake619
Frequent Contributor

That sucks.  Thanks for validating the servicer.  Not too much more AMEX there than a logo I guess.

Message 5 of 8
brother7
Established Contributor

Is it possible to backdate a Fidelity AMEX if you're a current AMEX holder? If so, who does one call?

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 6 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@brother7 wrote:

Is it possible to backdate a Fidelity AMEX if you're a current AMEX holder? If so, who does one call?

No backdating on Fidelity AMEX. Only card that is issued from AMEX directly (in other words on American Express website) can be backdated.

Message 7 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@brother7 wrote:

No backdating on Fidelity AMEX. Only card that is issued from AMEX directly (in other words on American Express website) can be backdated.

+1, just like USAA issued Amex cards are not backdated.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.