cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Question... Please Help

tag
r3buildit

General Question... Please Help

So I had applied for a lot of department store cards within the last 2 weeks. I opened 6 new credit cards and went for the Chase Freedom card but had no luck due to too many new accounts opened within the last month and the lady said that they want to see history on those new credit cards. 

How long do you think I should wait before re-applying? 

I made the mistake of applying for department store cards instead of the Chase Freedom first... Ughhhhh Smiley Sad

Starting score: EX 474 EQ 480 TU 525 January 2012
Current Score: EX 684 EQ 659 TU 661 March 2014
Goal: 700 across the board
Capital One QuickSilver $2000//Capital One Journey $500//Walmart $900//Childrens Place $750//Paypal $1000
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Denied me...

Still new to this myself, but my guess would be 3 to 6 months.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 2 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: General Question... Please Help

@r3buildit wrote:

So I had applied for a lot of department store cards within the last 2 weeks. I opened 6 new credit cards and went for the Chase Freedom card but had no luck due to too many new accounts opened within the last month and the lady said that they want to see history on those new credit cards. 

I made the mistake of applying for department store cards instead of the Chase Freedom first... Ughhhhh Smiley Sad

How many new TLs?

Message 3 of 7
r3buildit

@09Lexie wrote:

@r3buildit wrote:

How many new TLs?

I have 6 new TLs... My oldest open account is 5 years and my average account age is 2 years... 

Capital One QuickSilver $2000//Capital One Journey $500//Walmart $900//Childrens Place $750//Paypal $1000
Message 4 of 7
PaBill
Regular Contributor

@r3buildit wrote:

I would have gone for the Chase first, as you realized.  With the limited info, I'd give it 6 months.  In the meantime, I would show some activity on the cards that you have.  Before reapplying for the Chase, I'd PIF most of the cards and get your UTIL in the 1-9% range overall.  Just my thoughts...

EQ-805, EX-797, TU-804. Back in the Garden on 8/4/15. Just came out for a 5K CLI bump on the Barclay card...
Hover over a card for the CL...
Message 5 of 7
r3buildit

@PaBill wrote:

@r3buildit wrote:

I would have gone for the Chase first, as you realized.  With the limited info, I'd give it 6 months.  In the meantime, I would show some activity on the cards that you have.  Before reapplying for the Chase, I'd PIF most of the cards and get your UTIL in the 1-9% range overall.  Just my thoughts...

Sorry for the limited info. My oldest open account is 5 years and my average account is 2 years. I have a 0 balance on my current cards. Should I use 1 card at a time per month and routate between accounts? If I UTIL 1-9% like you suggested, how much would my score increase? 

Message 6 of 7
PaBill
Regular Contributor

@r3buildit wrote:

@PaBill wrote:

@r3buildit wrote:

Sorry for the limited info. My oldest open account is 5 years and my average account is 2 years. I have a 0 balance on my current cards. Should I use 1 card at a time per month and routate between accounts? If I UTIL 1-9% like you suggested, how much would my score increase? 

A score increase is tough to predict without knowing all of the factors in your current score and what will change.  Generally, they want to se that you are "managing" your credit.  If you have all $0 balances (when reported to the CRs), they can't tell if you're even using the cards.  On the other hand, they don't want to see you carrying balances on a bunch of cards.  Ideally, you will only have balances on one or two cards, and your total owed will be about 1-9% of your total available credit on all of your cards together.  Your "Amounts Owed" accounts for about 30% of your total score, so it can have a big impact.  Hope that helps.

EQ-805, EX-797, TU-804. Back in the Garden on 8/4/15. Just came out for a 5K CLI bump on the Barclay card...
Hover over a card for the CL...
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.