Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Question and AMEX BCE vs Chase Freedom

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

General Question and AMEX BCE vs Chase Freedom

Very new to this forum.

So with my general question, I just graduated college and was wondering what I should be doing with my Credit Cards or figuring out what the next goal is.

I currently have a..

Discover it Card (Sep 2013, 4.5k CL)

BankAmericard Platinum Plus Visa (Feb 2014, 1.5k)

Chase Freedom (Dec 2014, 6k)

AmEx Blue Cash Everyday (Oct 2015, 6k)

With regards to the AMEX BCE vs Chase Freedom..., I also have a Chase Banking Account. I was wondering when it would be advantageous for me to use one card over the other? I mainly go to Costco for my gas needs (hence why I just got the AmEx card).

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: General Question and AMEX BCE vs Chase Freedom

@Anonymous wrote:

Very new to this forum.

So with my general question, I just graduated college and was wondering what I should be doing with my Credit Cards or figuring out what the next goal is.

I currently have a..

With regards to the AMEX BCE vs Chase Freedom..., I also have a Chase Banking Account. I was wondering when it would be advantageous for me to use one card over the other? I mainly go to Costco for my gas needs (hence why I just got the AmEx card).

With Freedom's rotating categories, if one quarter has advantegous discounts it would make sense to use Freedom. Not rocket science I know. Don't forget Discover, IMO I take them over the Freedom. I see them has having better rotating categories. Peace.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 2 of 6
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure what the benefits of the bank Americard are, but if I was you, I would use the BCE for general spend at gas, grocery, etc, and supplement the Discover and freedom when they have good rotating categories. You have some good cards with some decent limits. I personally would not get in a big rush to app for something else until you've monitored your new post-college spending habits and see what'a missing. Just my opinion, though!
Message 3 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

With regards to the AMEX BCE vs Chase Freedom..., I also have a Chase Banking Account. I was wondering when it would be advantageous for me to use one card over the other?

When the rewards earned on one is greater than the other.  You have to look at your spend and run the numbers.  It's very straightforward with cash back cards.  Just multiply spend * cash back %.

For non-category spend they're both 1% so it's a wash in such cases.  However, AmEx does require that you redeem in $25 increments and it takes an extra cycle for rewards dollars to post.

Message 4 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Very new to this forum.

I currently have a..

Costco is switching to VIsa next year, so the Amex card won't work there then!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, in case you didn't hear...Discover is running a promotion until the end of the year re: Apple Pay. You'll earn an ADDITIONAL 10% if you use Discover with Apple Pay, so if you've got the requisite iOS device, check the places you frequent to see if they take AP and use that for 11% whenever possible (or 16% for this quarter's categories...so department stores). I've used mine at a Chevron, Trader Joe's, and a local grocery store. I know Subway and Panera take them. Scroll down a page or two in this forum for a thread on it. Or go to apple's site to see who takes AP. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.