cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Questions and Why Was I Denied?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: General Questions and Why Was I Denied?

might want to consider something like a chase ink or amex gold charge to handle higher spending for business that you will pay in full.

or something like Fidelity Visa or Amex will be as good or better then the capital one Quicksilver and with a bank that you can call and talk directly with someone that has the power to talk to you and look at your credit report instantly on the phone and make decisions on giving you credit, more credit, etc. which might make more sense for you to have that time to say "hey I PIF always and im trying to spend x dollars for this type stuff each month on my farm stuff and I have xx cash to then pay it and just want the rewards and relationship"  Bank of america is great about that stuff I think.

If you want to try to recon the Quicksilver app google "Capital One CEO Email" and shoot of an email to that address that you were declined and don't understand and all and include your phone number, someone will call you (probably tomorrow) and talk to you and can have it manual reviewed.

Message 11 of 26
user5387
Valued Contributor

@ILFarmer wrote:

Also, I assume you guys are suggesting I pay down my balance throughout the month if it is getting larger than say 25% of CL? Not to sound lazy, and I can certianly do this if it will help improve my credit score, but that sounds like a PITA. I am old school in the fact that I get my bill in the mail and write a check to pay it. I don't really want to have to pay online. This is one reason why I would like a higher CL on the Discover. I started out with 1000, then requested an increase and they upped me to like 1400, then 2000, and now 2800. I am surprised those requests didn't seem to lower my credit score. This is another reason why I would like a second card. Even a $500-$1000 limit on it would be fine for online purchases.

According to TransUnion my credit score is a 725, and like I said my discover profile says my FICO score is 745. The TU report only shows 2 credit accounts one of which is the Discover, then the other is my bank. My RLOC nor other debts are obviously not being reported. 

It may be helpful to think about how other lenders see you.

If they pull your report, and your card seems to be maxed out, then you may be seen as a major risk.  They may be reluctant to grant you credit if you seem to be overextended with what you have.

If other of your debts are not being reported, that may be a benefit, in that you can perhaps put some of your purchases there, for example the LOC.

Another angle here would be to use business CCs, that don't report to personal credit.  For example, my Chase Ink and Citibusiness MC balances don't show up on my personal report.

Message 12 of 26
ILFarmer

I applied for the QS Visa, not the QS one. Yes I would have a very high DTI ratio I am sure, it costs a lot ot raise a crop. However, this does not even appear to be on my report. 

Message 13 of 26
user5387
Valued Contributor

DTI is not part of your report, but is integral to the lending process, and can disqualify you.

Message 14 of 26
ILFarmer

99% of my card useage is for personal expenses and not business expenses. Like I said, I am old fashioned and I write checks for business. 

I appreciate the information so far. I will try to get my CL raised as I do come close to my limit occasionally. I will just wait to get the letter from Capital One and see why I was denied. Like I said, I am 23 years old and I don't have a lot of credit card expereince. My credit score has never even been a factor in me borrowing money. Up until setting up my RLOC a few months ago I always had to get a co-signer (my father) but I now have enough collateral and posotive history through my local bank I don't see it being required anymore. I do not want to hurt my credit in anyway possible though. 

Message 15 of 26
ILFarmer

TransUnion says my DTI is 0%. 

"You are currently using (0%) of your monthly income to repay debt. The amount of debt that you carry is considered very low when comparing it to your income. Lenders typically view debt to income ratios less than 20% as Very Good" - TU "My Debt Analysis"

This however is not true, I have plenty of debt.

Message 16 of 26
user5387
Valued Contributor

DTI is typically calculated by adding up your monthly housing payment and minimum monthly loan payments, and dividing by your monthly income.

If some loans are not listed on your report, or if your housing payment is not available, then I don't see any way to calculate a meaningful DTI.

Message 17 of 26
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@ILFarmer wrote:

99% of my card useage is for personal expenses and not business expenses. Like I said, I am old fashioned and I write checks for business. 

I appreciate the information so far. I will try to get my CL raised as I do come close to my limit occasionally. I will just wait to get the letter from Capital One and see why I was denied. Like I said, I am 23 years old and I don't have a lot of credit card expereince. My credit score has never even been a factor in me borrowing money. Up until setting up my RLOC a few months ago I always had to get a co-signer (my father) but I now have enough collateral and posotive history through my local bank I don't see it being required anymore. I do not want to hurt my credit in anyway possible though. 

id send the email off now... you don't need the letter... you just need them to review it outside the computer system that denied you.

Message 18 of 26
ILFarmer

Well I sent an e-mail off, and I also called discover and got my Credit Line increased to $4300. I didn't even have to speak to anyone, I just had to enter my monthly housing payment and my anual income and a machine told me that my credit line could be increased by $1500 to $4300. So that will help. 

I plan to only spend $800-$1000 a month on the discover, but as you all can imagine things come up and it gets used more often at times. 

Message 19 of 26
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the CLI and good luck with Cap1. Before your next app just pay down your balance to less than 10%, let it report and only then apply. You do not need to do this each month just before you apply. It will show optimal util and increase chances of approval and boosts your Fico score. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.