cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Chase Sapphire preferred first, and then Freedom card? Or the other way around...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get Chase Sapphire preferred first, and then Freedom card? Or the other way around...

Hey everyone, so bit of a dilemma, I'm debating between applying for the CSP first, and then getting the Freedom later (not thinking about Unlimited since the 5x categories sounds more enticing).

Which of the two is more difficult to get? I assume it's the CSP, thus thinking I should apply for it first while my numbers are all in good order (<2% utilization across the board, scores in the 730's and up), no new accounts in the last two years other than car loan. I've also read that others have applied for BOTH at the same time to use only 1 HP for both apps, any truth to that? I can hit the bonus spends for the CSP easily, and obviously same goes for freedom, so wondering the best strategy. 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
driftless
Valued Contributor

Re: Get Chase Sapphire preferred first, and then Freedom card? Or the other way around...

My wife responded to a mailer and got the CSP with no HP. She responded to a second mailer and received Freedom about a month later with 1 HP. I did the reverse and received Freedom first and CSP about a month later with 2 HP's. I would suggest checking the Chase pre-qualified page first. If I were to do it all over I would apply for the CSP first and then immediately apply for Freedom.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Get Chase Sapphire preferred first, and then Freedom card? Or the other way around...

Thanks for the response driftless. I have the prequal for both cards on the prequalification page. Ok I'm leaning towards doing that as well, going for the CSP first and then freedom later. Thanks for the input!!

Message 3 of 21
driftless
Valued Contributor

CSP and Freedom are a great combo. I am thinking of adding the FU in a couple months when I apply for a business cc.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did the CSP first and the Freedom about 30 seconds later. My scores were beign depressed by some baddies so my only regret is not waiting for that to get cleared up,  because the CL's might have been higher. I say CSP first followed by either Freedoms.

Message 5 of 21
Septrosh
New Contributor

I would definitely recommend applying for the CSP first, followed by the Freedom.  

Message 6 of 21
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone, so bit of a dilemma, I'm debating between applying for the CSP first, and then getting the Freedom later (not thinking about Unlimited since the 5x categories sounds more enticing).

Which of the two is more difficult to get? I assume it's the CSP, thus thinking I should apply for it first while my numbers are all in good order (<2% utilization across the board, scores in the 730's and up), no new accounts in the last two years other than car loan. I've also read that others have applied for BOTH at the same time to use only 1 HP for both apps, any truth to that? I can hit the bonus spends for the CSP easily, and obviously same goes for freedom, so wondering the best strategy. 

CSP is harder to get since it requires a min credit line of 5k to get approved. The freedom does not require nearly that high. If you don't have an issue with 5/24 then I'd go for both starting with the CSP and see if you can get it all with one HP. The cards work well together. In terms of the 5x freedom vs the freedom unlimited you really need to do the math before deciding. The 5x categories are nice but are you going to be using the categories every quarter? Are you going to be maxing them out? Do you already have a general spend card? Depending on the numbers you come out with based on your spend the unlimited may be a better card. 
;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 21
Curious0ne
New Contributor

I would love to have the CSP/Freedom combo but the 5/24 rule is getting in the way!

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did CSP first, then CFU second two days later, resulting in a single HP. Both approved. The SL was higher for the CSP.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback everyone. My general spends card at the moment is my quicksilver card, which I could easily flex over into the freedom for the categories, CSP for dining/travel, and then my quicksilver for everything else to maximize the best percentages for each. When you did your apps 4thekill, did you do them both online through pre-qual or did you call? 

Thanks everyone for the help. Anyone have the Barclaycard arrival+, and if so like it better than the CSP at all?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.