Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Rid of a Card / Get a New Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get Rid of a Card / Get a New Card

Hello All, I would like to rid myself of one of my two Chase United Mileage Plus Visa Cards (I have a business Account and a Personal Account).  It was foolish to take two cards from the same company -- I learned this when they simultaneously turned off both of my cards on suspicion of fraud.  Of course it was not fraud – I am a diplomat and was making a purchase in Beirut, Lebanon at the time.  Suffice it to say that when both of your cards don’t work you tend to feel like a real loser in front of the airline clerk… So I will do away with Chase and try to get an AmEx Platinum card – despite the exorbitant annual fee I think I could benefit from their travel perks.   

My question is this:  Should I apply for the new card first and then cancel the old card or should I cancel the old card first and then apply for the new card?   Also, if I make the switch, what effect will this have on my credit scores?  (I was so angry when I realized that my credit cards were both turned off at the same time that I told the customer service representative that I wanted to turn one off – she said that it would be reported to the credit bureaus in a tone that was almost menacing).     Any help would be greatly appreciated.   

FICO Scores:  TU 755; EQ 797; EX ???

PS -- Another reason I will stop with the Mileage Plus is that United will soon be charging fees for airline upgrades in addition to miles -- paying 30,000 miles and $250.00 for an upgrade just does not seem fair. 

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Get Rid of a Card / Get a New Card

Thanks to both of you -- I will be following your (plural) advice:

First,  I will retain both cards pnly making small purchases a few times a year.

Secondly, I called and received a Product Change for the Mileage Plus card -- now it will be a Premier Cash Rebate card that will earn 1-3% cash back with NO ANNUAL FEE and a LOWER INTEREST RATE.  I may end up doing this for my other credit card as well as Airline Miles aren't worth what they used to be worth.

At any rate, thanks again.

Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I apply for the new card first and then cancel the old card or should I cancel the old card first and then apply for the new card?   

I know how it feels to be angry at a cc's actions - but it would be much better for you if you just apply to another card and add that to your fleet.  Put the Chase cards in the sock drawer and do not close them.  Keeping the credit history going will benefit you.  Use the Chase card 2xs per year to buy something tiny and pay it in full.  In defense of Chase, if your cards were stolen and used in Lebanon - you'd have thanked them very much for stopping the crook.  I know you want to tell them to stuff it, but it will hurt you - not them.  Just sock drawer it and use the other card you get.

Message 2 of 6
FICOADDICTED
New Contributor

Hello!  I used to have the United Mileage Visa (personal) and requested to do a product change to Chase Freedom plus since I don't see too much perks on this card and I believed they evaluate your information and will tell you if you're eligible for PC.  It did not affect my credit history with them and was not considered as new account.  Although the annual fee is $30 free for the first year to compare with United Mileage Visa ($75) it will give you cash back.  Travel card wise; I have a Citi AAdvantage card just this month so not familiar yet with their perks...  How old are these cards?
Amex (3), Chase (2), Cap One(2), USAA (1), NFCU (1), Citi (2) Nordie Store Card, VS, BB Store card and HD store card......
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICOaddicted:  "How old are these cards?" 

I've had the personal credit card for about ten years now -- the business account is less than a year old (I don't know what I was thinking when I signed up for it).  Good suggestion to try and transfer the card to something that has a smaller annual fee; I'll give it a try. 

Cheezy: "...you'd have thanked them very much for stopping the crook." 

It is true I would be grateful if they had stopped a thief from using the cards; however, I move a lot for my job and find that they do turn off my card despite my calling them and explaining my unique situation frequently.  Therefore, about once a year I find myself in a foreign country trying to call the United States to turn my card back on -- of course the 800 numbers do not work abroad.  Anyway, you can understand the frustration.  It sounds like getting rid of a card is not the solution; still, it's a shame that I can be on the hook for $75 a year for a card I will no longer use... 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to both of you -- I will be following your (plural) advice:

First,  I will retain both cards pnly making small purchases a few times a year.

Secondly, I called and received a Product Change for the Mileage Plus card -- now it will be a Premier Cash Rebate card that will earn 1-3% cash back with NO ANNUAL FEE and a LOWER INTEREST RATE.  I may end up doing this for my other credit card as well as Airline Miles aren't worth what they used to be worth.

At any rate, thanks again.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheezy: "...you'd have thanked them very much for stopping the crook." 

It is true I would be grateful if they had stopped a thief from using the cards; however, I move a lot for my job and find that they do turn off my card despite my calling them and explaining my unique situation frequently.  Therefore, about once a year I find myself in a foreign country trying to call the United States to turn my card back on -- of course the 800 numbers do not work abroad.  Anyway, you can understand the frustration.  It sounds like getting rid of a card is not the solution; still, it's a shame that I can be on the hook for $75 a year for a card I will no longer use... 

I am sorry - didn't realize you told them in advance that you'd be traveling - but honestly, it is not just chase that does this.  I was in Canada for many months (deciding whether to move permanently) and although I told every single one of my accounts that I'd be traveling and to make a note of it (including my bank of many, many years) I had many problems.  Most were sorted out by a phone call - with the exception of my bank, who decided it was someone un-authorized and closed off my ATM!!  There's not enough time or space to tell how long it took me to get a new ATM issued and sent to Canada.  Months without access to my funds...

But anyway, glad you have a plan!!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.