Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get rid of Barclay?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Get rid of Barclay?

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you all very much. I think my main concerns have been addressed. I wish I had done more homework on Barclay's before applying back then. I'm also not using the nfl perks like I thought i would. That's why I say it feels more like a retail card for me. If other lenders don't care, then I guess it is okay.

@NRB525. It does seem hard to cld this. I can see them closing me though some time down the road.

@SouthJamaica. I do plan on apping for another card after the new yr. So i do wonder how they will take it
Well there's not much they can do to you now, now that  you're down to 750 Smiley Happy

@wasCB14. That info isn't necessary. I'm not asking how to get bether terms on this card. I know what my profile was like then. Although, I had other approvals that were better then, I understand barclaycards decision. I am only trying to figure out how their decision is viewed by potential lenders and the need to close it.

I don't think I'll be getting to a point where this card will be super useful. I believe I made a mistake and was caught up in apping when I chose this card. Although I absolutely love having my team on the card, it's no reason to hang onto it. Although the low limit doesn't appear to hurt anything, I can't imagine keeping it is doing anything to help me much either. It's now just something else to keep up with. I'll be letting it go. Thanks!

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 11 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@lhcole77 wrote:

I'll chime in on whether low CLs prevent higher approvals.

Years ago I had a 1200 card and 700 card (the only two cards on my account at that time) when I was approved for a 9500 Amex, 6000 Citi and 5000 Barclays card.

I agree (with many here) that a small CL on one card doesn't (necessarily) impact other issuers CLs.  And, even if it did, it's not clear that closing achieves much, as the card will stay on your CR for issuers to see for many years.

But in general I am in the camp of "if a card isn't useful, dump it" whether it has an AF or not.  Reduce clutter.

Message 12 of 18
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Apply for a BC you really could use and then PC your $750 to the new card.  I did that recently with my Arr + when I got approved for the Ring. Now I have a card with a great APR and no AF.  Making lemonade out of lemons so to speak. 

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey All,

I just closed it. I feel better closing it. Lost a whopping $1.57 in rewards. Lol. That's all I've earned since I got the sign up bonus in April or May. I was asked why I was closing. I just told them I don't use it.

I have no interest in ever having another barclaycard. They seem different from the other lenders I do business with. I had some trouble in the beginning when I first signed up. I wasn't receiving statements online, and I was using the card some. I wanted my team on the card and getting that fixed over the phone....was bad. I don't think they understood what I wanted. I've activated my card many times, but always showed online I needed to activate. Reading through these forums they seem to spook easy as well. With the low limit, I don't think there was much worry for them, but I don't need the stress of it. Happy with Chase, BOA, and my CU card. Thanks guys!
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Allow me to say something positive about them though. The customer sevice reps have always been nice. I've seen some say they are somewhat rude. i don't know if they were past the customer service front line at that point, but the reps were always nice to me. The app was very well put together as well. I just think we dont mesh well.

Message 15 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

As they say, not everyone will gel with certain cc companies. You found this out early which is great as you can now concetrate on others you do mesh well. Best of luckSmiley Happy
Message 16 of 18
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Excellent thread!

Congrats on your decision to close, OP. 

Ultimately, you have to do what's best for you. I agree with trimming the fat.

I will be debating wether to keep my Barclays MC Rewards open this coming spring. I'll ask for a cli, even willing to take a hp for it. But if I don't get the results I'm looking for, I'll be closing them. 

My limit is less than yours. I've been sitting at $500 for 2 years! My profile has grown since approval, and I've gotten bettwr offers worth limits 10x that kid muy Barclay. We shall see.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all!

@grillandwinemaster

I was going to say try asking for the apr reduction to get the cli, but it looks like they only have 1 apr for that card! Personally, I think there are better rewards cards out there than that rewards mastercard, but if you get decent rewards from it, it may be worth keeping. I'm not against taking the HP for an increase, as long as the card has value. I didn't find the value in mine, so hp would be a waste. If they had started me at 5k, I may have hung on just to help overall uti, but at 750 bucks, no harm in letting it go. That, with my other concerns, helped my decision. That might be something to consider in your upcoming decision as well. Best of luck to you!
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.