Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get rid of my Capital One cards?

tag
jpparker07
New Contributor

Get rid of my Capital One cards?

Yesterday I got approved for an AMEX BCE. My current credit profile looks like this from oldest to newest: CapOne $750 Limit (Annual Fee No rewards), CapOne $750 Limit (Cash Back but has Annual Fee), AMEX ZYNC (will be closing after packs are gone), AMEX Green NSPL, Discover it 2000 Limit, Chase Freedom 1000 Limit, SECUMD 2000.00 Limit, and AMEX BCE 2000 Limit.

I really want to get rid of the two Capital One cards because neither card is worth the annual fee of 39 dollars for each. I have great cash back cards now so even the CapOne rewards cash isn't worth it. From what I've read if I close them my AAOA won't be greatly affected because they will still report. Is this correct? I'm not worried about the utility because I carry very little balances and the BCE should jump to 6000 in 61 days. What are your guys thoughts?

Cards: AMEX BCE (2k), Barclay Arrival Mastercard (4.3K), Chase Freedom (1K), Discover It (1.3k), SECU (2K), CapOne Quicksilver (750)

Current Scores- Experian- 695, Equifax- 689, Transunion-680

Goal- 720 Across the Board
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
somotao
Frequent Contributor

Re: Get rid of my Capital One cards?

Well you have a few options with Capital one....I had two capital one cards one with a 500 CL and the other with 750. I wrote a letter to the executive office that I would like to have the limits combined....then I was looking for at least one card to have 2000 Limit at the least. A very nice lady from the excutive office called me and said at this time we can bump the limit of the 750 card to 1500 but I would have to close the other one..I was fine with it. If you do want to keep the card you can always contact the Executive office and ask for your account to be reviewed and ask for the limit you desire...Capital one has been very responsive lately you never know. Oh and I was able to get them to wave the 39 annual fee.

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 2 of 6
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@somotao wrote:

Well you have a few options with Capital one....I had two capital one cards one with a 500 CL and the other with 750. I wrote a letter to the executive office that I would like to have the limits combined....then I was looking for at least one card to have 2000 Limit at the least. A very nice lady from the excutive office called me and said at this time we can bump the limit of the 750 card to 1500 but I would have to close the other one..I was fine with it. If you do want to keep the card you can always contact the Executive office and ask for your account to be reviewed and ask for the limit you desire...Capital one has been very responsive lately you never know. Oh and I was able to get them to wave the 39 annual fee.

+1  Exec office is the route to use.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 3 of 6
jpparker07
New Contributor

I have used the Executive Office once and they only added 250.00 to the each card. A whopping total of 500.00 increase. When they waive the annual fee do they do it just for that year and then you have to call again or is it permanent? They didn't do that for me when I went through the office. It seems like such a hassle when all I have to do with Chase, Discover or AMEX is call them up.

Cards: AMEX BCE (2k), Barclay Arrival Mastercard (4.3K), Chase Freedom (1K), Discover It (1.3k), SECU (2K), CapOne Quicksilver (750)

Current Scores- Experian- 695, Equifax- 689, Transunion-680

Goal- 720 Across the Board
Message 4 of 6
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

It is more of a hassle then the others you listed.

When I got my af fee waived it was for one year but the lady told me to just call her when it gets closer and she will take it off again.

250 is small sure, but if your overall picture has changed, tell them so and make it clear you are on the verge of giving them the boot if they won't play ball. 

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 5 of 6
vikash1986
New Contributor

Exec office is the eaistest route to use. I am not how old these accounts are but I believed it will hurt your AOA if it is some of your oldest account. I had the same hard feeling towards capital one until I found out about the Exec office. My account was stuck at 750 for about 1and half. However, I email the Exective office and after a few questions on the phone with a nice sexy lady and after waiting a few days CLI is now $4000 and I am planning to approch them every 6 statement to ask for an increase. Give them a try first and see the outcome first before closing the account. My 2 cents.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.