Did you mean: 

Getting A Better Rewards Card

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Getting A Better Rewards Card

@CreditPhoenix wrote:

Hi Journey,

I think the earliest I would get another mortgage would be next summer.  But it may not happen until the summer of 2017.  Is that so far off that I shouldn't even be concerned with this?

Not a problem then ....go get some new cards you have plenty of time before the mortgage then 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 18
CreditPhoenix
Established Member

Hi Fin,

Sorry for the stupid question, but what are OP and AF?  And I likely spend over $1K/mo, but try to save as much as I can.  Realistically, I probably do closer to $1,300-$1,500 for the year, maybe even up near $2K.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditPhoenix wrote:

Hi Fin,

Sorry for the stupid question, but what are OP and AF?  And I likely spend over $1K/mo, but try to save as much as I can.  Realistically, I probably do closer to $1,300-$1,500 for the year, maybe even up near $2K.

OP : Original Poster (you)

AF : annual fee

Message 13 of 18
CreditPhoenix
Established Member

Hi Fin,

Sorry, one other question.  Even though I don't travel a lot, it seems like the 40K or 50K mile promotions out there are a great deal.  Cash back cards don't seem to have up front bonuses like that.  This is what attracts me to the Chase Sapphire / Barclays / Southwest / etc.

Or are there cash back promotions I don't know about?

Message 14 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditPhoenix wrote:

Hi Fin,

No such thing as a stupid question.  My bad!  We are accustomed on using a variety of acronyms and forget that some newer folks may not be familiar with all the jargon.

OP = Original poster

AF = Annual Fee

If you are definitely looking for a no-nonsense cash back rewards program, then the Citi Double Cash (2%) might be a suitable contender.  There's also the the Fidelity American Express card (2%) - underwritten by FIA/Bank Of America.  On the lower side of popular cash back rewards, there's the Capital One Quicksilver (1.5%).

And, aside from your investment property/mortgage and vehicle, is the Cash Rewards card the only revolving tradeline on your file?

Message 15 of 18
CreditPhoenix
Established Member

Hi Fin,

Yes, the only revolving credit I have is the mortgage and my BofA card.  My car is paid in full.  My wife and I both pay our bills in full each month.  Although, for some reason, MyFico is saying that I have a balance beyond $0 for my BofA card.  I instruct BofA to take the full balance every time, but by the time of the ACH, I've built up more of a balance.  I don't know why they can't just take the full balance at the time of my payment.  But then again, it's not like I got docked with any fees or anything.  I don't get it.

My wife is in a car lease.  I guess if we shared a credit card or something, we could put it on that card.  God knows I don't want a car payment for as long as I can go without it (knock on wood).

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember, that 40k points = $400. Cash back cards don't have this because the majority are non-AF. Look at AF cards, and they generally have a higher sign up bonus. 

Message 17 of 18
ddemari
Super Contributor

OP- reading your message, it sounds like you like cash back cards but the BOA card is pretty lackluster in terms of rewards. 

If you are interested in a travel card for every once and while travel and do not want to pay an annual fee, what about the travel rewards amex from PenFed?

If you join PenFed, it will be one inquiry to join and you can use that same pull for I believe 60 to 90 days to apply for credit products. You could go for their Amex Card, probably get a massive limit and then apply for another one of their rewards with the same pull! Something to think about maybe? 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.