Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Approved for American Express Platinum Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting Approved for American Express Platinum Card

Here is my scenario...over the last year I have worked really hard to get my credit together.....as of today my FICO is 667EFX 626 TU and 561 EXP.....I am making my installment payments on time and keeping my credit balance low (less than 35%) with exception my citi select card (90% of the total limit).....as of today I have 5 cc and 1 installment loan.....two things I need help with....1) I need to know how to get my scores above 720 and I need to know how to get approved for a American Express Platinum Card.....all of my cc are just at or less than a year old
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting Approved for American Express Platinum Card

marlon333 wrote:
Here is my scenario...over the last year I have worked really hard to get my credit together.....as of today my FICO is 667EFX 626 TU and 561 EXP.....I am making my installment payments on time and keeping my credit balance low (less than 35%) with exception my citi select card (90% of the total limit).....as of today I have 5 cc and 1 installment loan.....two things I need help with....1) I need to know how to get my scores above 720 and I need to know how to get approved for a American Express Platinum Card.....all of my cc are just at or less than a year old

The only score that matters to Amex is your EX score, and I'm sorry to say that 561 is too low for an Amex Platinum.

To get your score up, you need to work on your baddies and get your utilization low across the board.  If you have issues on your reports that you would like help with, feel free to post on the Rebuilding Your Credit forum with specific questions.

Mostly, just read, read, and read some more.  These forums are full of posts with information on how to get your scores up over time.

Work on your baddies, use the cards you have, but keep the balances low and don't ever, ever be late with your payments.  Do all of this, and you'll be on your way to an Amex Platinum in no time!

Message Edited by cheddar on 07-03-2008 10:53 AM
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

how high should I get EX...also how far back will my lates have to be before it want hurt me with American Express?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have info on Amex and how they look upon lates in your past, but you should look at whogavemecredit.com to see what scores did and did not obtain Amex Platinum cards.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

marlon333 wrote:
how high should I get EX...also how far back will my lates have to be before it want hurt me with American Express?

Amex is HUGE on baddies less than two years old and high utilization.  Those are often dealbreakers for them, not just on new accounts but for existing cardholders, too!

Generally, as long as you have no baddies at all in the last two years, no bad history with Amex whatsoever, low utilization across the board, and an EX score in the 630s+, you can usually get an Amex Green.

I know that's not the card you want right now, but it's a starting point.

Message Edited by cheddar on 07-03-2008 02:16 PM
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You didn't work hard enough, cuz just like me; spending below 30% of my total credit balance..
I've 4 hard inquiries..
My oldest age is 2.8 years
My average age is 2.3 years
I'm only having 2 negative factors & 5 positive factors
My credit score is 726..
I still get denied, when I applied for Hilton Honors AMEX Credit Card..
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the optional requirement is to apply for an installment loan : such as a new car etc.., that was one the reason I got denied for !!!
Message 7 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You didn't work hard enough, cuz just like me; spending below 30% of my total credit balance..
I've 4 hard inquiries..
My credit score is 726..

The original post is nearly 3 years old. But the info you provide is still useful to help others know what kind of criteria Amex considers. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've 4 hard inquiries..
My credit score is 726..

Not trying to be harsh, but you are talking about a whole different world. The OP is looking for a Amex charge and you are talking about a Amex credit card. Amex credit cards are much more difficult to get. Though you got denied for HH Amex, you have a very good chance of being approved for any of their charge cards.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.