cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting CCs closed by issuer

tag
kaiotes1

Re: Getting CCs closed by issuer

i have been with citi for like 15 years.

is one card one year overkill.   is it gaming the system?

Message 51 of 60
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

I still don't understand how you have 10 cards from 1 issuer.

What do you mean?   HOw it is possible?  Why you want to?

As I said, with Citi, the easiest way is/was churning AA cards.   In the past, each card would get a minimum of a 30K AA miles, and often much more.  You applied for 2 at once (the famous 2-browser method) maybe several times, (business and personal) and you could do the same again after a while, without having to cancel the older cards.

What I mean is how do they not have a cap on the number of accounts you can have, and how would they let you have more than 1 of the same type of accounts. 

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 52 of 60
enharu
Super Contributor

@kaiotes1 wrote:

i have been with citi for like 15 years.

is one card one year overkill.   is it gaming the system?

Nope, it is not, if that's all you're doing.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 53 of 60
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Are they all different types. Or do you have a bunch of AA accounts like @longtimelurker said?

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 54 of 60
enharu
Super Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

I still don't understand how you have 10 cards from 1 issuer.

What do you mean?   HOw it is possible?  Why you want to?

As I said, with Citi, the easiest way is/was churning AA cards.   In the past, each card would get a minimum of a 30K AA miles, and often much more.  You applied for 2 at once (the famous 2-browser method) maybe several times, (business and personal) and you could do the same again after a while, without having to cancel the older cards.

What I mean is how do they not have a cap on the number of accounts you can have, and how would they let you have more than 1 of the same type of accounts. 

It is Citi's policies. You can have 2 of the same card for many reasons, such as different payment networks.

They are now limiting AA cards from what I read, but Hilton is still abusable. 

Basically if you are qualified to get approved, they will approve you.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 55 of 60
enharu
Super Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

@ARE they all different types. Or do you have a bunch of AA accounts like @longtimelurker said?

People used to have 1 AA account for each payment processor. Now the limit seems to be visa + MC / AMEX, and 1 business account. So technically you can have 3.

What they're doing is that basically if you're qualified to be approved for credit, and that you're seeking credit, they might as well approve you. Otherwise, you'll just be taking your business elsewhere. By allowing multiple apps they basically are "locking" you in to them, since other banks might start declining you after a certain point if they feel that you have way too much CL for your income.

Message 56 of 60
kaiotes1

no aa at the present time., converted that into a regular ty or ty branded citi amex. 

predominately ty cards

havent applied for a citi card over a year. i dun churn 5 apps at a time...

Message 57 of 60
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

@ARE they all different types. Or do you have a bunch of AA accounts like @longtimelurker said?

People used to have 1 AA account for each payment processor. Now the limit seems to be visa + MC / AMEX, and 1 business account. So technically you can have 3.

What they're doing is that basically if you're qualified to be approved for credit, and that you're seeking credit, they might as well approve you. Otherwise, you'll just be taking your business elsewhere. By allowing multiple apps they basically are "locking" you in to them, since other banks might start declining you after a certain point if they feel that you have way too much CL for your income.

Wow, a person can have 3 AA cards alone. Thats $195 in AFs for 1 Visa, 1 Amex, and 1 business.

Message 58 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

Wow, a person can have 3 AA cards alone. Thats $195 in AFs for 1 Visa, 1 Amex, and 1 business.

The fees are fairly easily waived by calling.

Message 59 of 60
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 60 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.