Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Chase Freedom Card

tag
FitNutrix
Valued Member

Getting Chase Freedom Card

Hey First off i'm new to this form and i'm loving it so far. So much information! Please disregard my ignorance of not knowing the correct abbreviations! 

I am wondering if anybody knows my chances of getting a chase freedom card and if i am doing the right thing to accomplish getting the CF Card.

Got C1 Secured Credit Card 06/18/2012 (First Credit Card EVER)

Annual Income 25k-30k (Good college Job)

I am a college student with a C1 Secured card with $501 CL (First Credit Card EVER) and i use it for ONLY paying cellphone bill, every month i charge $60 to it and PIF on my due date. So my Credit utilization rate is 12% if i am calculating it correct (60/501x100) and that is pretty good i have been reading around.

My Scores are 623 EQ 639 EX 612 TU (These scores are before C1 reported anything and with only installment loans and my hard inquires) I have a lot of hard inquires (#19 TU) (#5 EQ) (#2 EX) from 2010 on my TU and EQ so i am waiting to apply for the Freedom till January 2013 (Birthday Gift to myself) and all the Hard inquires will be gone and my score should be much higher because of dropped inquires and also revolving account information from C1 for 18 est. months. I also have installment loans from my College that are (Paid as agreed) on credit report. 

So i'm going to apply for Chase Freedom in January 2013 and wanted to know if my chances of getting instant approval is high or low?? PLEASE HELP

Also any Tips seeing that i'm starting my Credit History off and trying to do it correct.

Starting Score: EQ: 651 FICO TU: 615 FICO EX: 629 FAKO (08/06/2012)
Current Score: EQ: 533 FICO TU: 523 FICO EX: 494 FICO
Goal Score: 700+ Across Board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

Re: Getting Chase Freedom Card

Might wanna get the credit scores closer to 700 and let your credit history grow a little longer. You might run into problems for only having a card that has a small credit limit. I know people are going to say get the Zync card, but I think you might need to get yourself a regular credit card.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 2 of 8
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Your mileage may vary*.

I just applied for this card over the phone and got instant approval for 500. Last week.
I have at least a 9 month aaoa though.

If you pay all your cards on time and keep the utilization 1-9% I think there will be a good chance in January of 2013.

Keep in mind I'm new just like youSmiley Happy

Maybe one of the regulars might jump in though

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 3 of 8
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Chase is pretty strict on their approvals, in jan you may still be denied because of your short history. Continue to do what you're doing and when you do apply lower your util as much as possible if not pay in full then appLy. Welcome to the forums. 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 4 of 8
FitNutrix
Valued Member

Okay thanks for advice. I just want clarify things I have recently read and question to see if this would be better.

1- I heard that C1 Secured Credit Card reports as Unsecured do you know if this is true. What does a secured card look like on a credit report vs. an unsecured?

2-I can increase CL whenever I want with a bigger deposit, should I Raise it to $1,000 and use that till January 2013?

Message 5 of 8
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Since you only have 1 CC with low limit, your options are not optimal with the CL they may give you upon approval. If you have extra money you won´t need for 1-2 years, I would suggest increasing your limit to 1k.

Once those inquiries fall off, your score will surely improve and the loans may help you as well.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 6 of 8
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

Putting more money into a secure card might not be the answer. I would use the credit you established (using the secured card wisely congrats on that) to get your foot into the door of a major credit card. Perhaps a student card with your bank. They'll probably spot you a $300 - $500 (maybe higher) credit limit (it will also raise your total available credit), which will look a hell of a lot better than a $1,000 secure card. After you prove yourself and some baddies drop off your report go for the Freedom.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 7 of 8
FitNutrix
Valued Member

Hey thanks again for all your replies. 

Funny thing is I have Chase College checking so I know that they won't do it because they don't have a student card. ( but it might help get approved because I have a account with them)

My C1 secured credit card does not report to 3 bureaus as "secured" so how would chase know it was secured? Is there something I can't see that they can?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.