cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting MORE difficult to sit on my hands...

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Getting MORE difficult to sit on my hands...

OK, so I KNOW that I'm supposed to continue to reduce util and NOT app for bigger and better cards.

That being said, I've got the itch and it's getting worse.

Now both Experian and TU are in the high 600's...I'm not ignoring EQ, I just can't see it.

NO inq's (in the last 12 months..) on EX or EQ as of 01 August...  1 on TU.

Utilization is still too high... (48.86 overall)   Three cards still maxed out, will be down to one as soon as Capital One updates...then down to zero near the end of August.

My credit union just gave me a ridiculous credit limit increase and, of course, that has me wondering if it's time to apply for bigger and better cards...

Your thoughts?

(Either talk me down, or point me in the right direction, please!)

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Getting MORE difficult to sit on my hands...

@tcbofade wrote:

OK, so I KNOW that I'm supposed to continue to reduce util and NOT app for bigger and better cards.

Now both Experian and TU are in the high 600's...I'm not ignoring EQ, I just can't see it.

Utilization is still too high... (48.86 overall)   Three cards still maxed out, will be down to one as soon as Capital One updates...then down to zero near the end of August.

My credit union just gave me a ridiculous credit limit increase and, of course, that has me wondering if it's time to apply for bigger and better cards...

Your thoughts?

Didn't you just get back in the garden?

Lexie has been notified Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 21
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

Your thoughts?

Didn't you just get back in the garden?

Lexie has been notified Lol

Who, me?

You must have me confused with some one else...  Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

Lol last I heard taking the new card for a spinSmiley LOL

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 21
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

No, no...you misunderstood...I'm doing my best to leave the new credit limit ALONE!!!

It's the new credit SCORE that I want to take for a spin.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

No, no...you misunderstood...I'm doing my best to leave the new credit limit ALONE!!!

It's the new credit SCORE that I want to take for a spin.  Smiley Happy

Lol good one 

Just wait till Lexie gets here Smiley Surprised

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I would say start with this...

Then, start the application right away...

Message 7 of 21
enharu
Super Contributor

Look at the big picture! If you apply now, you are shortchanging with getting approved for a lower CL than you could of otherwise.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 21
thebanjoman
Contributor

I may be in the minority here, but I'd say give yourself just one or two applications before the auto refi reports. 12 months from now having the inquiries clustered will be easier for you. Spread them out to 1 EX and 1 EQ, if you can.

However. Do not, at all, be hasty or seek any kind of sign-up bonus that will be counterproductive. Before applying for anything think long and hard about your strategy from here out. If the apps are successful or not, and you're going to sit on your hands for X months either way, what would best serve you as a strategy for that period. If you're trying to pay off cards entirely, look for low APR balance transfer cards that will fit nicely into your strategy or a new signature loan to consolidate away high interest debt. Be selective, and don't depend on the approval. Make it the first, careful step into the new ~12 month plan. Then garden like there's no tomorrow, and stick to your plan.

edit: or do the third option... HP CLI spree. All the satisfaction of approvals... if approved, and none of the new TL pain.

Message 9 of 21
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

There is nothing wrong with changing plans.

HOWEVER, you should think long and hard about the impact of changing those plans. I completely understand wanting to test the waters, but if apping now is counterproductive to your longer-term goals, I say wait until you have everything in place. If you have 'wiggle room' in your plan and can afford the hard pulls, then go for it.

The itch does not go away with just 1 or 2 apps....it only gets worse.

Good luck!
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.