Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Married and Credit Cards

tag
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Getting Married and Credit Cards

I am getting married in June and my fiancee and I have some of the same cards and some different ones. We are combining our finances, so ideally, we would like to combine our credit as well. I have: (2) Citi cards, Discover, PNC, Amex, Chase, and Target (Store). My fiancee has: Discover, Chase, and Gap (Store). Our Discover and Chase cards are the same (Discover More and Chase Freedom). Will we be able to combine our cards and get joint accounts? Any experiences with this would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
eparker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Getting Married and Credit Cards

Just my thoughts:  Smiley Wink  Through research I have found that many suggest having separate credit card accounts.  The only joint was a mortgage.  I guess the thinking just in case there are credit problems down the line both wont be effected.  Then at least one spouse will have credit to purchase something.  I know marriage is suppose to be forever but you also have to think what if something happens down the line.  At least that will not follow either one of you.  But you have to do what is best for your situation. 

If one person is not credit savy and alert it wont' hurt both of you.  I recently remarried and I am still dealing with some credit issues from my previous marriage. 

Good luck.....

Starting Score: Mid 500's
EQ-701 TU-693 EXP-698
Goal Score:750+

NavChek $15,000/NFCU nRewards Visa $12,000/American Express Rewards Gold NPSL/USAA Rewards World Mastercard $7000/USAA Visa Platinum $7000/Barclay $3900/Credit Union Visa $5000/Jareds $7600/BofA Visa $4000/USAA MC $1500/Walmart $1200//Amazon $1000/Discover Card $750/Cap1 $2250.

the FICO Fitness Challenge
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats on your forthcoming nuptials !!

Assuming that you both have clean history on your cards, the best option I can see would be to add each other as AUs on your cards, that way you will each benefit from the AAoA and clean history of all your combined TLs.

Going forward you can jointly apply for new CCs or loans.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 18
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

In our case, we have four joint card accounts:

USAA World MC, $25,000 CL

Wings FCU Visa, $10,000 CL

PenFed Visa, $20,000 CL

PSECU, $20,000 CL

All of our other cards are in our names only. I think it is good to have both.

JMO -

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 4 of 18
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@eparker wrote:

Just my thoughts:  Smiley Wink  Through research I have found that many suggest having separate credit card accounts.  The only joint was a mortgage.  I guess the thinking just in case there are credit problems down the line both wont be effected.  Then at least one spouse will have credit to purchase something.  I know marriage is suppose to be forever but you also have to think what if something happens down the line.  At least that will not follow either one of you.  But you have to do what is best for your situation. 

If one person is not credit savy and alert it wont' hurt both of you.  I recently remarried and I am still dealing with some credit issues from my previous marriage. 

Good luck.....

I have to give a +1 to this. My DH and I started out during the early part of our marriage with joint accounts, but later on in life only opened separate accounts. This was mostly because online apping didn't allow for it, and as I was more interested in adding to my portfolio than he was, I wound up with the bulk of the cards. When we were hit with hurricanes two years in a row, we experienced financial problems and some of my cards were adversely affected. Since only one of the cards affected was a joint account, he has had fewer baddies on his reports to deal with. Since you can never be certain of what life will throw at you, I'm of the opinion that keeping separate accounts is a safer course of action.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 18
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Most of our cards are seperate. I am an AU on a few of his cards but mainly for large joint purchases.

But I'm in the camp of married couple keeping their finances (except those that affect the household) seperate.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 18
quest208
Frequent Contributor

@eparker wrote:

Good luck.....

+2

there's nothing wrong with having seperate cards.  maybe one joint card for household bills, travel accomodations, dining, etc.

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 7 of 18
CS800
Super Contributor

At least in the begining, keep them seperate. Wait a while, stabilize your credit (if youre rebuilding)

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

We do our budget jointly - but have mostly individual accounts. 

Depending on the account, being an AU on one another's accounts also has the downside of reporting that balance for both of you.  Just something to consider. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have all our CC accounts seperate.

I would only go for a mortgage loan with joint and auto loan (last option) joint.

In case something happens one can take care of other and both are not affected as described in one of the responses.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.