cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting There

tag
pghguy

Getting There

Hey guys I have visiting the boards for awhile now and I have made some real progress.  I filed ch 13 almost 4 years ago.  I have had great success getting new credit cards (ie hsbc, juniper, hooters, etc) all the rebuilder cards.  I had high utl on them, but have recently paid a majority of them off.  My BK was something to say the least.  I took all the great cards like BOA, Chase, First USA, MBNA,Providian.  My scores are now back in the low 700's.  Still not where I was before I filed, but I didn't think I would see the 700"s again so quickly after BK.  I was able to hold onto my Amex and Discover card through the ch 13.  Don't ask me how, but I did.  Now after all this do you I can get any regular cards? I know Chase is out till my BK is off, same for BOA, but is there anyone out there that may give me a try?  Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Getting There

Check the BK Friendly thread.

Welcome!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 2 of 6
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

You could try one of the prime Capital One cards.

Welcome to the forums!
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 6
granny031350
Established Contributor

don't try cap one.  They will see your chapter 13 and unless it says "discharged' you will be denied.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pghguy wrote:
Hey guys I have visiting the boards for awhile now and I have made some real progress. I filed ch 13 almost 4 years ago. I have had great success getting new credit cards (ie hsbc, juniper, hooters, etc) all the rebuilder cards. I had high utl on them, but have recently paid a majority of them off. My BK was something to say the least. I took all the great cards like BOA, Chase, First USA, MBNA,Providian. My scores are now back in the low 700's. Still not where I was before I filed, but I didn't think I would see the 700"s again so quickly after BK. I was able to hold onto my Amex and Discover card through the ch 13. Don't ask me how, but I did. Now after all this do you I can get any regular cards? I know Chase is out till my BK is off, same for BOA, but is there anyone out there that may give me a try? Thanks.

quick question here. when someone says "I took all the great cards" in reference to a bankruptcy, what does that mean?

and is it usually the case that the creditor will close your account if you file for bankruptcy (because of the 'change in credit standing' clause in your cardmember agreement)?

a little off topic, but thanks for any help.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am guessing he means he took many of the prime cards BK as opposed to cards like Hooters, HSBC, Credit One, etc.  Many of these wont issue you credit again until the bk is gone or sometimes they black list you for life.  I hope Chase doesn't blacklist for life.  I had a Chase Freedom card that I loved and would love to have back one day. 

Many CCC's will close your account when you file even if you don't take them.  We kept a few of our major cc's and gas cards.  Almost all of my store cards got closed with the exception of Ann Taylor. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.