Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Unsecured Line on Secured Capital One

tag
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Getting Unsecured Line on Secured Capital One

I've seen a couple times I think people saying that they got a unsecured line, on their secured Capital One? Is it difficult to get? And if so I take it they were pretty much all small amounts?

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Getting Unsecured Line on Secured Capital One

@xgac12x wrote:

I've seen a couple times I think people saying that they got a unsecured line, on their secured Capital One? Is it difficult to get? And if so I take it they were pretty much all small amounts?

It is not possible to graduate a secured Cap1 card to a unsecured card. You will have to apply for an unsecured card if you want unsecured.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 7

I got a $200 Cap One secured back in January 2013. They just emailed me yesterday morning to say that they were increasing my limit to $300 and that the extra $100 would be unsecured. Part of their 'Path to Credit' plan, according to the email at least.

I didn't instigate the change, in fact I had just put the card in the drawer as I now have others lines I use more often, but I need to keep it as it's my oldest account.

Always nice to get something for nothing, right?

Cap One Secured ($49 deposit) - $300 (01/13 | Discover IT - $750 (03/13 | Capital One Newcomers - $500 (07/13) | JCP - $100 (07/13) | Amazon - $1200 (07/13) | Walmart - $600 (07/13) | Lowe's - $500 (07/13) | Barclaycard Apple Financing Card - $700 (07/13).
FAKO Scores (07/19) from privacyguard.com - EX 660, EQ 655, TU 669
Fico Scores - TU (Walmart) - 683 (07/26/13)
Message 3 of 7
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Ah yes I see. Really the only reason I got the Capital One Secured was to save money (I put 1400 on the card) and it helped me by increasing total credit available. It kind of stinks that you have to keep that card because it is one of your first ones..paying the AF sucks..Maybe you should try calling Capital One and asking them, since I saw in your sig that you have another card with them, to see if they could get rid of you AF? Worth the try.. But in 12/13 I am applying for 4 cards, Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Amex Blue Cash Everyday and Capital One Quicksilver..I see you made some good decisions, as I turned 18 I got way to excited and applied for credit cards like crazy, (I was very uneducated at the moment). But now I am progressing, currently in the garden until 12/13 and hoping to get those 4 cards before I go off to college next fall. 

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 4 of 7
Scorpiion
Established Member

I've had a capital one secured card for almost a year and half and I've never recieved an auto CLI or anything Smiley Sad but congrats for you all though Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7

I spoke to Cap One the other day regarding the limit and if the secured card graduated. Was disappointed to learn that it didn't graduate into an unsecured card like so many others do.

I also asked for them to increase the limit on the unsecured card. They said they couldn't as they just opened the account. I only have 8 months of US credit history so I'm happy to bide my time and garden until I'm in a position to get an auto loan. Also got my eye on the AMEX Gold Delta for the travel perks down the line (travel to Europe a lot).

Cap One Secured ($49 deposit) - $300 (01/13 | Discover IT - $750 (03/13 | Capital One Newcomers - $500 (07/13) | JCP - $100 (07/13) | Amazon - $1200 (07/13) | Walmart - $600 (07/13) | Lowe's - $500 (07/13) | Barclaycard Apple Financing Card - $700 (07/13).
FAKO Scores (07/19) from privacyguard.com - EX 660, EQ 655, TU 669
Fico Scores - TU (Walmart) - 683 (07/26/13)
Message 6 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@theroamingnomad wrote:

I got a $200 Cap One secured back in January 2013. They just emailed me yesterday morning to say that they were increasing my limit to $300 and that the extra $100 would be unsecured. Part of their 'Path to Credit' plan, according to the email at least.

I didn't instigate the change, in fact I had just put the card in the drawer as I now have others lines I use more often, but I need to keep it as it's my oldest account.

Always nice to get something for nothing, right?

I think OP wanted to know if the card itself graduated to unsecured like BofA. OP please clarify?

But CAP1 does increase the limits without asking for additional deposits in some cases such as yours theroamingnomad

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.