Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a 25K Limit in 10 months-

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting a 25K Limit in 10 months-

Is it possible to get a 25K Limit on my BoA Mastercard? My current limit is 12.5K.

All my scores are in low-mid 700s and I have 6 other credit accounts all with CLs above 10K except for one. I've been with BoA since 2003. I want the increase because the card has a 5.9% Fixed APR and I want to use it purchase a new car for 21K that I plan to pay off in 36 months.

Some questions I'm considering is - should I just go ask for a $25K CL or do smaller asks over the next 9 months? Should I increase utilization on the card? (Currently, the util remains among 1-3% and is PIF each month). Any other strategies?

Any advice, tips, or points of consideration are greatly appreciated?
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting a 25K Limit in 10 months-

not sure if this is a real good call or not-

max a card when you can get an installment loan for the same APR.

pjriverap wrote:
Is it possible to get a 25K Limit on my BoA Mastercard? My current limit is 12.5K.

All my scores are in low-mid 700s and I have 6 other credit accounts all with CLs above 10K except for one. I've been with BoA since 2003. I want the increase because the card has a 5.9% Fixed APR and I want to use it purchase a new car for 21K that I plan to pay off in 36 months.

Some questions I'm considering is - should I just go ask for a $25K CL or do smaller asks over the next 9 months? Should I increase utilization on the card? (Currently, the util remains among 1-3% and is PIF each month). Any other strategies?

Message 2 of 17
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I will tell you about my story...and this is no BS. I apped in 02/06 for an FIA (BoA) Fidelity 529 Plat Visa and begged them to approve me. They did but for only a 500 CL. Two years later this CC has a CL of 25K and I just put in another request for an additonal 5K...I have a feeling they might TD this one.

Keep in mind I have kept my util low on all of my CCs for the most part and I asked for CLIs frequently and here's how it went.

05/06 CLI of 500, new CL 1K
07/06 CLI of 1,500, new CL 2.5K
10/06 CLI of 2,500, new CL 5K
01/07 CLI of 5,000, new CL 10K
04/07 CLI of 5,000, new CL 15K
11 or 12/07 CLI of 3,000, new CL 18K
02/08 CLI of 7,000, new CL 25K

I would ask big and accept what they offer and space the requests every few months. I have to believe you are in a far better postion than I ever was. If you own a house, this will be looked at very favorably. Charge a lot and make large payments consistently. I have found BoA/FIA to be very generous with their best card holders.

Message 3 of 17
fused
Moderator Emeritus

As for Timothy's advice, I agree 100%!
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

not sure if this is a real good call or not-

max a card when you can get an installment loan for the same APR.

@pjriverap wrote:

If I can get a car loan for a similar or less APR I will take that route...however, I want to have an alternative option just in case. Valuable thought though.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do keep in mind that your 5.9% Fixed APR can also be increased.  Whereas a 5.9% lifetime of the balance BT offer would have a "locked-in" rate that could not be changed, unless you do not meet your financial responsibilities. 
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:

I will tell you about my story...and this is no BS. I apped in 02/06 for an FIA (BoA) Fidelity 529 Plat Visa and begged them to approve me. They did but for only a 500 CL. Two years later this CC has a CL of 25K and I just put in another request for an additonal 5K...I have a feeling they might TD this one.

Keep in mind I have kept my util low on all of my CCs for the most part and I asked for CLIs frequently and here's how it went.

05/06 CLI of 500, new CL 1K

07/06 CLI of 1,500, new CL 2.5K

10/06 CLI of 2,500, new CL 5K

01/07 CLI of 5,000, new CL 10K

04/07 CLI of 5,000, new CL 15K

11 or 12/07 CLI of 3,000, new CL 18K

02/08 CLI of 7,000, new CL 25K

I would ask big and accept what they offer and space the requests every few months. I have to believe you are in a far better postion than I ever was. If you own a house, this will be looked at very favorably. Charge a lot and make large payments consistently. I have found BoA/FIA to be very generous with their best card holders.

Those are some geat CLIs fused! If you don't mind me asking, what was your HHI range during the last few (e.g. 60-80K, 80 -100K, or 100K+)? Thanks for sharing your experience!
Message 7 of 17
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

With your scores you should have no issue qualifying for an automobile loan with an APR that low, especially if you finance for 36 months.

What kind of car are you wanting to buy?
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just out of curiosity, was your BoA MasterCard previously an MBNA card?  I remember about 4 or 5 years ago, when the Prime Rate was around 4.0-4.5%, I frequently received preapproved offers from MBNA for credit cards that had 5.9% Fixed APRs. 
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ngerasimatos wrote:
With your scores you should have no issue qualifying for an automobile loan with an APR that low, especially if you finance for 36 months.
What kind of car are you wanting to buy?

I'm looking at a new Camry possibly...hmm...
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.