Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a 3rd CC worth it?

tag
airborne07
Valued Member

Getting a 3rd CC worth it?

Right now I currently have 2CC's.  Capitol 1 ($3,050) and Discover ($2,200).  My Trans FICO is approx 752, Experian and Exquifax are mid 600's.  That is because there a charge off that I am in the process of having removed from those two.  I debating on whether or not it would be beneficial to get a 3rd card and if it would help my score in the long run.  I see there are quite a few people on here with numerous cards.  I am trying to be smart about this and do a little research before doing so.  Thoughts are welcomed as usual.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting a 3rd CC worth it?

@airborne07 wrote:

Right now I currently have 2CC's.  Capitol 1 ($3,050) and Discover ($2,200).  My Trans FICO is approx 752, Experian and Exquifax are mid 600's.  That is because there a charge off that I am in the process of having removed from those two.  I debating on whether or not it would be beneficial to get a 3rd card and if it would help my score in the long run.  I see there are quite a few people on here with numerous cards.  I am trying to be smart about this and do a little research before doing so.  Thoughts are welcomed as usual.

First off if you don't mind, what's your AAOA look like? Utilization? Inquiries? How's the charge off coming along? 

Obviously you would want to wait till the charge off is gone to see how your scores and reports look like.

I'm still new here but it's usually 3 cards and an installment loan that seems optimal for FICO scores. 

No doubt more experienced members will chime in, just thought I'd get the ball rolling. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I'd get the second Cap One card, take the CLIs at 3 and possibly 6 months.  Then combine the limits if you have other cards you like better by then.  Conventional wisdom is three cards, figure out exactly what cards you want and check out the requirements for them, you might be closer than you think. especially if you get that charge off removed.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 3 of 8
airborne07
Valued Member

Right now the only card that has a balance is Capitol One.  I will have that paid off in the near future. In regards to the charge off.  I should have it gone in the next couple of months or sooner.  I am most certainly going to wait until it removed before I make a move.  The charge off however is only on my Experian and Equifax reports.  Thanks for the info.

Message 4 of 8
driftless
Valued Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

I'd get the second Cap One card, take the CLIs at 3 and possibly 6 months.  Then combine the limits if you have other cards you like better by then.  Conventional wisdom is three cards, figure out exactly what cards you want and check out the requirements for them, you might be closer than you think. especially if you get that charge off removed.

+ 1 I would suggest checking the Capital One, or other cards that interest in, pre-qualified pages.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 5 of 8
jbsea
Established Contributor

Or a Barclaycard since they pull TU... Personally I dont like them but if you use that card a lot I guess they would be good to you.  So you might want to look into them.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 6 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@airborne07 wrote:

Right now the only card that has a balance is Capitol One.  I will have that paid off in the near future. In regards to the charge off.  I should have it gone in the next couple of months or sooner.  I am most certainly going to wait until it removed before I make a move.  The charge off however is only on my Experian and Equifax reports.  Thanks for the info.

Good plan to wait until the CO is gone. That will make your file look a lot better, based on TU already being above 750.

Have you tried for a CLI with the Discover card yet? That is a SP and may be reliant on the TU score which Discover makes available to you on your monthly statement.

Which bank is affected by the chargeoff?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 8
airborne07
Valued Member

I tried with Discover a couple of weeks ago and they gave me a $500.  They most certainly rely on the Trans Union score.  So think that is in my favor.  The charge off is with USAA bank but I am not stressin over it.  That's is the only negative I have.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.