Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a card just to put it in your sock drawer

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Getting a card just to put it in your sock drawer

Maybe under a few circumstances.

- You use one card for most everything, and it's not a card that comes with quick replacements in the event you need a new card number (like if the card info has been stolen).

- You like the rewards and features of your current main card but need to lower your overall utilization desperately.

- Your score would rise materially before you next need major credit (house, car, tuition).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny thing is i got a card for use only for me and my family to travel overseas with. Granted we make that trip for 2 weeks every other year. But i wanted a card with chip AND PIN.
So mine is sock drawer for 700 days before being used for 10 days.
My opinion is to get a card that you can atleast use MOVING FORWARD.
Go look around and find a card that you can sock drawer for a year or 2 but use it for say travel or hotels or something else.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I considered it with Amazon. I rarely ever shop there but thought  would look good on a report.  Or maybe an airline card... then maybe it looks like at one point you flew a lot and needed the card before it got SD'd. Lol. I mean, it all sounds better than Walmart or Starbucks.

I don't know but I applied for Disco when I knew the time was best for approval. I had no intention of it being my main card. I just wanted a 3rd card and that one was the most appealing. At least I would get some use out of rotating it a few times a year for the rewards.

Message 13 of 16
Kree
Established Contributor

Marriot is offering 75,000 points if you spend 3000. Thats like almost a $700 value. There is a AF, but other card benefits.  After initial spending, nothing wrong with the sock drawer except for  hotel stays.

Message 14 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Very few of us would advocate getting a card with no sign up bonus and useless or no rewards just to get a possible utilization cushion (which I don't believe in anyway), simply because there are so many cards out there that have some advantage.

But if you don't have a pressing need for a certain type of card, and you see one with a great (usable) bonus, then I guess getting it might make sense.   But I would view this as getting it for the bonus rather than getting it for the sock drawer.

Message 15 of 16
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

wrote:
I'm wondering if it's a dumb idea to get a Card just to pad your report? Something that you You would rarely use with a decent Starting lineJust put it in your sock drawer? And pull out for gum and gas every 3 months

I think it depends on your needs.   In some situations, it could be helpful for UTIL and ensuring that you have enough zero balances.   Consider some of your occasional needs.   Perhaps you shop at certain stores for the holidays, or perhaps you need a no-FTF card for occasional international purchases.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.