cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a credit card with no credit history.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting a credit card with no credit history.

I'm a college student with a student account at chase bank little over a year now.

I want to start building credit.

How and where should I start? Advice? Suggestions?

I tried applying for chase freedom card but rejected 

" Few revovlving accounts opened long enough to establish credit history"

"Not enough accounts opened long enough to establish a credit histyory"

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Getting a credit card with no credit history.

Bank of America's Bankamericard Cash Rewards secured credit card is the way to go. I did this, and 10 months later got a Visa Signature and an Amex in my portfolio.

Message 2 of 22
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a college student with a student account at chase bank little over a year now.

What about applying for a student card.  Chase has one called Chase +, which has some odd requirements (like needing a facebook account) and gives gift cards.  Don't know much about it, but since you already have a relationship with Chase it might be worth a try.  Otherwise,  I would recommend Capital One Journey card for students.  My freshman daughter just got one with no problem.   Gives 1% back, + a bonus .25% if you pay on time each month.

Or, as others have said, you can try a secure card from a good lender.

Message 3 of 22
HiLine
Blogger

@bs6054 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What about applying for a student card.  Chase has one called Chase +, which has some odd requirements (like needing a facebook account) and gives gift cards.  Don't know much about it, but since you already have a relationship with Chase it might be worth a try.  Otherwise,  I would recommend Capital One Journey card for students.  My freshman daughter just got one with no problem.   Gives 1% back, + a bonus .25% if you pay on time each month.

+1

Student cards are a great option too. Capital One and Discover both have credit cards targeting college students, with low limits and high APR's.

Message 4 of 22
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Student cards are a great option too. Capital One and Discover both have credit cards targeting college students, with low limits and high APR's.

Well, I agree the APRs are high, but my daughter got $2K straight away, and with the 1.25% back, that's not too bad for her first card.

Message 5 of 22
brother7
Established Contributor

I think a student card from a major issuer is the way to go. Personally, I like reward cards and would recommend the Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® Visa® Card for College Students. The Journey Student Rewards Credit Card is another option, but some people in the forum don't like Capital One.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 6 of 22
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe they discontinued the Chase +1 card. 

Message 7 of 22
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Chase nixed the +1 card.

Easiest one to get with little to no history is probably the Capital One Journey to be honest.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 8 of 22
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Student cards from Citi or Discover.

The Citi Dividend Student Card says "no co-signer is needed"

Message 9 of 22
bahbahd
Established Contributor

I had a Discover card and a Citi card during and after college. After I treated them well I then had a platinum credit card in the 90's. I wish I had never closed them over a decade ago.

I too would skip the BoA Secured card and go straight for student cards offered by the prime people. You did not mention if you have any loans in repayment with good history or auto loans with positive history, etc.  If so that helps your chances for sure. Just skip Bank of America. I'm not a Capital One fan either, but it might be a good option for you. 

Just watch your spending and don't miss payments. Even if you are broke as a joke, do whatever you can to make your minimum payment every month. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.