cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting another free lunch from a banker.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting another free lunch from a banker.

Yes, I admit. I can be bought for a free lunch. Now days when a "BANKER" offfers to buy, I will take it.

Actually, I have an curiousity as this particular gentleman just got back from  Minneapolis after attending a meeting regarding the way US BANK was going in regards to its Credit Card Business.

He tells me that they are still going to reduce their exposure by about 20% , done by cutting high risk, under utilized and lower inital Credit Limits.He explained the major criteria they would look at is customer payment history and also length of the relationship with the customer, including other accts with them they may have.

Something I did find fascinating is that he told me the consensus among their people regarding the Credit reform act to be implemented in 2010 is that it actually HELPS THEM  to tighten standards. He said that for so long Banks have been "pressured" to make loans to people not credit worthy, including mortgages, etc and this new act will give them cover.  Having read the entire act, I would have to agree.

He also told me that US BANK is working with 7 other large banks for the developemnt of a new "scoring model" they want to use, IN CONJUNCTION with what is currently used. This will include many of the things that the gaming industry use, as he told me in research they have discovered that the gaming industry has developed the best risk management models for credit losses and that is reflected in the fact that their credit losses are approximately 15% of what Banks suffer from Credit Cards. You cannot blame them for that.

Also, he tells me that they feel the new law will severly limit Credit to "less then steller Credit History Customers" and that they feel this may actually be a very good business oppertunity for them. Although US BANK is considered "conservative" by many people they also are very innovative in what they offer.

They have a program called "SECOND CHANCE CHECKING" where they will open aperson a checking account regardless of their CHEX history , PROVIDING they have never had a problem with a US BANK ACCT and CHEX does not show a history of criminal activity. Actually, he tells me they used to get laughed at by others when they started this, BUT he tells me that "SECOND CHANCE ACCOUNTS" have no worse NSF or abuse problems then their regular checking accounts, so they have acquired a great many new customers, others did not want.

He says they are working on a "Second Chance Credit Card" that will have a low initial CL, ($500) BUT will be unsecured, have a competitive interest rate and no excessive "initial fees" that many have. It will also grow over time.

He tells me they will be eliminating "automatic CLI's" and that all CLI's will include pulling reports, as opposed to just internal records. He said this is something most people in the industry tell him they will be inacting, as it has gotten a bit out of hand. Again, with Congress pushing them to be "more responsible" in lending, they have cover from consumers if they complain.

Other then that, they are planning a set table of interest rates, as opposed to "variable" and are considering a "monthly fee" on Credit Cards which he says 95% of all the people he knows in the Banking Business tell him they are planning on doing. One nice thing about this though, is they also will have provisions for the customer not to pay the fee IF THE AGREE to online Banking, thus eliminating the need for mailing statements.

More then anything they are just waiting it out like most of us he says. He knows we haven't seen the worst of the Credit Card bubble bursting, so they are just treading water till they see how it shakes out.

Not a whole lot of changes but some. I also enjoy these chats we have as we are both "old fellows" and can remember when this whole thing was simple and efficent. Times have changed. Used to be a "Credit Analyst" was an actual job. To do a credit check on someone you CALLED their references, called their employer, called the Credit bureau. Now anyone can punch a few keys and get an answer. No wonder people complain about the loss of Customer service. Hard to explain Credit to someone if they don't understand it themselves.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting another free lunch from a banker.

Thanks for the update DickC Smiley Happy

One a side note, I agree with the comment from your friend that "tightening standards" and "reducing risk" are a good business decision and opportunity for the bank in THIS economic climate.

Where this changes is when their is excessive capital without use.  When the investments, deposits, securities and general capital resources are heavy, then the banks and investors are looking for places to put the cash.  This is when there is "pressure" to place the money and standards get more lax. 

Rarity, like always, is what creates increased value.  When markets are tight, the cost of money is higher (both in rates and standards).  When there is more borrowers than money, rates and standards go up.  When there is more money than borrowers, then rates and standards go down.  This is the normal free market system.

The problems that arise is when rates are kept "artificially" low, thus creating a run on money not from true market causes, but due to artificial mechanisms.  The money was not cheap due to abundance, but because debts were leveraged at artificially low prices.  And since the over supply of capital was debt based and not abundance based, when there are losses they represent losses on debt which creates defaults that cannot recover through normal markets without allowing substantial failures, severe repricing of assets (stocks, bonds, real estate, etc).

Had the econcomic issues of the last few years been a result of losses to true abundance and capital vs. leveraged debt positions, then there would obviously not been the "melt down" because there would have been losses to capital, but this would not have created the ricochet of leverages positions where one loss created a debt default, which created a debt default, which created a debt default, etc, etc. 

Essentially the system found itself over leveraged, without adequate capitalization (not debt capital) and no way to cover due to the creative accounting measures of modern times.

Therefore, the combination of government pressure (through artificial low rates and mandates of loaning to less than credit/income worthy) and the other supplies of capital created a huge influx of money that had to be placed.  Money has to go somewhere, it doesn't stay under mattresses.  As money flows in, this created added pressure to the system to loan to whoever would take the money.

In the future, less government involvement (artificial pressures) would provide for more natural market responses with less severe highs and lows.  The problem with this position is that many people don't like natural market results, because it is "felt" that it isn't "fair" because some get "left out" meaning those who don't qualify, won't qualify.  Thus the tendancy to override markets by creating artificial means to put people into various markets that really shouldn't be there, and who will eventually find that the short term benefits afforded, artificially, come back to haunt everyone.

IMO, as always. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by txjohn on 11-12-2009 04:50 AM
Message 2 of 14
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Tighten standarts, new scoring model, second, third, fourth and last chances, higher APR's, lower CL's, AFs and little or no rewards - all this activity pretty much predictable.

What I am intrested to know what "bankers" prepare for customers like myself - decent score, perfect payment history, not big spender, acceptable income.

While I could not care less about APR, can live with crappy or no rewards program, I won't pay AF. Means, I would pay AF if perks provided worth it.

While I am not great profit, still I generate merchants fees, better than nothing.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wmarat wrote:

Tighten standarts, new scoring model, second, third, fourth and last chances, higher APR's, lower CL's, AFs and little or no rewards - all this activity pretty much predictable.

What I am intrested to know what "bankers" prepare for customers like myself - decent score, perfect payment history, not big spender, acceptable income.

While I could not care less about APR, can live with crappy or no rewards program, I won't pay AF. Means, I would pay AF if perks provided worth it.

While I am not great profit, still I generate merchants fees, better than nothing.

I think in the long run good customers will always be taken care of. To me, I see no problems in reducing CL's down to a point where they are in line with a pesons ability to pay. Thats good business.

That is also a part of the scoring model that the gaming industry uses. They have a set limit each person is worth and they dont allow a person to go over it. In the gaming industry, say your "allowed limit" is $ 10,000. Now people don't care how you get to the amount, like $5,000 at 2 places, or $2,000 at 5 places. It just means you wont get $10,000 at 3,4 or more places.

Being as there will be fewer chances to make "money", I have no problem with an AF, if there is the chance to "opt out". As I was told, if they start the fee, a person can have it waived if they agree to "paperless statements" and handle their accounts online. When one considers it is said that it costs an average of $ 2.87 to manually generate, prepare and mail a statement to a person, I can see that. 

I generate a few merchants fees for my bank, as they are a "processor" but I know many banks do not process credit cards, (having it done through clearinghouses)  so they don't make that fees.

Whatever the outcome, I have no doubt a customer like yourself who maintains their accounts in such a good manner will be fine.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@wmarat wrote:

I think in the long run good customers will always be taken care of. To me, I see no problems in reducing CL's down to a point where they are in line with a pesons ability to pay. Thats good business.

That is also a part of the scoring model that the gaming industry uses. They have a set limit each person is worth and they dont allow a person to go over it. In the gaming industry, say your "allowed limit" is $ 10,000. Now people don't care how you get to the amount, like $5,000 at 2 places, or $2,000 at 5 places. It just means you wont get $10,000 at 3,4 or more places.

Being as there will be fewer chances to make "money", I have no problem with an AF, if there is the chance to "opt out". As I was told, if they start the fee, a person can have it waived if they agree to "paperless statements" and handle their accounts online. When one considers it is said that it costs an average of $ 2.87 to manually generate, prepare and mail a statement to a person, I can see that. 

I generate a few merchants fees for my bank, as they are a "processor" but I know many banks do not process credit cards, (having it done through clearinghouses)  so they don't make that fees.

Whatever the outcome, I have no doubt a customer like yourself who maintains their accounts in such a good manner will be fine.

I completely agree.  And in case my thesis was lost in my rambling:  As the FED and Obama and others attempt to stimulate the economy by pumping money into the system (through debt) and artificially lower rates, there in lies the risk that we will end up in a similar crisis since we are using the poison (original problem) as the solution.  When artificial rates, stimulus through excessive debt, and reliance upon comsumer deficit spending is encouraged, how can it be otherwise, eventually.

Live within means.  Get out of debt.  Collect interest, don't pay interest whenever and wherever pay.  Have patience and wait on some purchases.  Consider a modum of frugality.  IMO and in agreement with DickC.

Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that is the reason anyone I know in the business tells me that the "Credit Card Bubble' will be the next big one to burst. We have seen it in personal mortgages, is happening as we speak in commericial real estate so Credit Cards will be next.

Like all things though, while many speak of doom and gloom, the "sharp, well ran" companies wil be fine and will actually prosper during hard times. They will be able to cherry pick the good assets available and grow while others close down.

Something tells me it will be like that with people. Those prepared will do fine and those who are not will have difficulties.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

And unfortunately those who do well will most likely be labeled as evil, profiteering moguls, whether warranted or not by those who don't do well.  One thing that I hope to see make a come back is a sense of personal responsibility for oneself to equal or exceed a sense of personal entitlement.

As always, IMO and without guile Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 14
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

One thing that I hope to see make a come back is a sense of personal responsibility for oneself to equal or exceed a sense of personal entitlement.

Good luck with that; cash for clunkers, first-time homeowner tax credit, cash for refrigerators (new program), people walking away from homes, cars and credit debt, health care that won't cost middle class taxpayers a dime ..... it's all free, Free, FREE !!!!  Personal responsibility is going in the opposite direction, and quickly.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is great info, but I do have a question.  I know nothing about the gaming industry. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@wmarat wrote:

You say in the near future, there likely will be a set limit on credit that banks are willing to extend to individuals, much like the current gaming industry's practice. Is this amount based on income? How does the gaming industry handle situations where an individual undergoes a drastic change in income? For example - I'm currently a student but will make 6 figures upon graduation. Would my set limit be automatically increased?

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is great info, but I do have a question.  I know nothing about the gaming industry. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@wmarat wrote:

You say in the near future, there likely will be a set limit on credit that banks are willing to extend to individuals, much like the current gaming industry's practice. Is this amount based on income? How does the gaming industry handle situations where an individual undergoes a drastic change in income? For example - I'm currently a student but will make 6 figures upon graduation. Would my set limit be automatically increased?

The gaming industry uses one major Credit Reporting Agency, which keeps it informed in REAL TIME, 24/7.  As for "limits" they are done on a "7 day basis". What this means, is you have a "limit" you are good for each 7 days.

Now this may sound strange, but really it is not. It is based on this formula. Suppose you write a check or access your credit line. As a rule, casinos "hold" the check or marker a period of 48 hours. This is done as many players come into town, gamble and if they are ahead, redeem their checks or markers before leaving. If they don,t the casino knows it can process and clear any check in 48 hours or less. That makes 4 DAYS. Then they allow for the possibility of a 3 day weekend when holidays, etc happen, where Banks may be closed. THUS, you have the "7 Day period" your limit is good for.

After setting an "initial limit" as a rule it can be bumped a bit after a history is established. For a large increase they will require documentation and verification. Such would be the case if your income suddenly increased but be advised, they will want to see that the income is stable, (At least 6 months) .

As for your "limit" it will be shared with any casino using the Clearinghouse ( and they all do). It is available in real time, meaning you can draw an amount on your credit limit, which will be reported BEFORE you receive the money and that instantly shows up and other casinos will know that and they do check BEFORE approving the release of funds.

By sharing this information, it has allowed casinos to losses far less then the avearage Bank and it is all do by sharing and working together. The problem with banks is, say you are worthy of a $5,000 credit card. There me be 3 or 4 banks that give it to you, in the hope you will be true to them and make them your card of choice.

The diffference with casinos is that while you may be worth $5,000, that is the aggregate limit you can get. Now you may be loyal to one casino and only use it there. Then again, you might go to 5 casinos and have $1,000 credit with each. How you use it doesn't matter, just the fact that is all they are giving you.

Again, by working together, insead of being so darn afraid to share info with others they have kept their losses to a fraction of what banks have and now banks, in this time of financial uncertainty are seeing that is what they need to do.

Hope this helps and good luck with your new career.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.