Did you mean: 

Getting back in with Chase question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting back in with Chase question

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Why not just apply and see what happens? No one here will be able to give accurate answers anyway.

Lots of people on this board are very educated when it comes to credit card lenders.  Lots of people on this board know a lot more then I do about this stuff.  

Lots of people on here can give extremely accurate answers on a lot of credit card topics.

I have seen people say "if there is a hard pull, you're not on their blacklist".

This thread was to see if I could get a little more clarification on that.

I think we've all come to the conclusion that YMMV.

I didn't want to "apply and see what happens"...I wanted to get more information before I apply.  At this point in my credit card life I would rather not go throwing hard pulls around willy nilly.  

*I edited this post because my reply sounded rude when I wasn't trying to be*

I've cards with all the popular banks mentioned here, above 770 FICO scores, 50 inquiries on each report, and still getting approved for cards like my recent CSR. I think I have credibility when I say no one will be able to give you an accurate answer for the situation you're in. You're just going to have to test with a hard pull to confirm or deny the advice people have given you. And since you're not going to initiate the hardpull because of whatever fear, all the advice given to you so far is pretty much just theory.

Message 11 of 24
sjt
Senior Contributor

@toothgrind3r wrote:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not...and I did do a search and found some threads that kind of answer my question, but not completely.  (and they were old and didn't allow me to revive it)

Anyway, I burned Chase for about $1500 way back when and it went to collections.  Ended up paying collection for less then full amount.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and all my reports are clean, with Chase/Collection the last to fall off of Experian.

Now, I have read that if you are in fact blacklisted by Chase, when applying for a credit card they will NOT pull your report.  Before I new any better, I had applied for the Freedom a few years back, and I was obviously denied, but I know that I DID get an inquiry on my Experian report from them.

So would it be safe to say that I am in fact not blacklisted?  And now with my scores, clean report, and other cards (good ones too...Amex, Prestige, etc, multiple cards over $20,000 limit), i could have a decent chance getting back in with them?

Basically, I am okay getting denied if they don't like something about my report.  But I don't want to waste a HP if they still pull even if I'm blacklisted.

Here are some data points Ive gathered:

• YMMV
  • You are not on the BL if you paid or partially paid.
  • If Chase took a "hit" it will depend how much of a loss they took and how long its been since the C/O. $1500 is minor.
  • Chase does have a long memory.
  • A Chase Analyst having a C/O with them is not a out right denial. They look at the overall credit profile. So if you had a C/O with them they are going to look at factors that will offset that. Credit Established, Payment History, Utilization, The time since your last negative, etc.
  • A friend had a very large C/O with them. When they applied for a card, they were denied but there was no mention of the charge off in the denial letter
  • Folks on these boards have reported getting back in with Chase, some with large C/O-five figures.

It seems like you would be a good candidate for a card. Based on the stated cards you have, I would think youre a good candidate for the Sapphire Reserve.

I think you should go ahead and apply.

Keep us posted.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 12 of 24
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Why not just apply and see what happens? No one here will be able to give accurate answers anyway.

Lots of people on this board are very educated when it comes to credit card lenders.  Lots of people on this board know a lot more then I do about this stuff.  

Lots of people on here can give extremely accurate answers on a lot of credit card topics.

I have seen people say "if there is a hard pull, you're not on their blacklist".

This thread was to see if I could get a little more clarification on that.

I think we've all come to the conclusion that YMMV.

I didn't want to "apply and see what happens"...I wanted to get more information before I apply.  At this point in my credit card life I would rather not go throwing hard pulls around willy nilly.  

*I edited this post because my reply sounded rude when I wasn't trying to be*

I've cards with all the popular banks mentioned here, above 770 FICO scores, 50 inquiries on each report, and still getting approved for cards like my recent CSR. I think I have credibility when I say no one will be able to give you an accurate answer for the situation you're in. You're just going to have to test with a hard pull to confirm or deny the advice people have given you. And since you're not going to initiate the hardpull because of whatever fear, all the advice given to you so far is pretty much just theory.

Thank you for not reading a word I said anywhere in this thread.  Very helpful.

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 13 of 24
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

You're misusing the term blacklist. Black list is for serious C/O offenders or MS offenders. You're just on the **bleep** list like many have been include myself. They will pull your CR if you apply. It will go to pending and you will have to call. They will bring up the C/O and you will have to explain. Unless it's been a very long time, you might get by without a manual review.

In the end it's s freaking hard pull and not a big deal. And quit being rude to people contributing. You came here to get spoon fed the information there. It's not conflicting, you have to analyze it.
Message 14 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

OP I think the wind up is that you'll just have to apply and see what happens. Nobody can really answer this for you.

Message 15 of 24
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

OP I think the wind up is that you'll just have to apply and see what happens. Nobody can really answer this for you.

I know, I've come to that conclusion a while ago.  What I don't like is getting heat for trying to make an educated decision on credit matters.  There are some things in this world that have hard set rules, like the Anex 3x CLI rule for instance.  I thought this might be one of those from some of the information I've read here.  That's all I was doing here.  I relized very early on in this thread that it is a YMMV situation.  I apologize for being rude to others.  

Thank you.

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 16 of 24
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

A hard pull isn't going to have significant impact if your profile is in good shape.  Don't just obsess over HP's.  Obsess over the major factors.  I'm not saying ignore the smaller factors.  Certainly consider them.

@toothgrind3r wrote:

There are some things in this world that have hard set rules, like the Anex 3x CLI rule for instance.

Even that's not hard set like you're assuming. Originally requests over 3x were denied.  Now they counter offer if one qualifies for less.  There was a point where they were denying requests for new accounts prior to 60 days. Then they were approving some requests prior to 60 including some on day of application. Now they seem to be back to 60 days. The $25K/$35K income verification threshold isn't hard set either. Some run into it. Others do not.

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

A few disclaimers about me before I add my input:  not a major contributor, long time reader of various posts, mortgage score of 761. 

I had my first Chase account in 1991.   It was a Chase Manhatten Visa. At the time it had a $1000 limit.  By 1996 it had a $7000 credit limit which I maxed, and it made its way into collections. It was sold to a few collection agencies, but avoided and never paid and never went anywhere but a bunch of letters and phone calls. It took about 12 years to get past this, meaning for it it drop off CR. 

I was approved for a Washington Mutual Card in 2007 with a 1500 CL. My score probably was in the high 500s at this time. The account was purchased by Chase in 2010. They  closed the account. The reason was derogatory remarks on CR. 

Fast forward to 2016:  approved for CSP with $16000 CL. I called in to verify change of address recently and the CR thanked me for being a long time customer. I had totally forgotten about the WaMu that was closed yet paid in full. 

Take the information for what it's worth to you. Just as others have stated each portfolio is unique as the person who created it. 

Best in what ever you decide to do!  

Message 18 of 24
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Chase has a long ass memory. Whether BL'ed or not, you'll always get HP'ed anytime you apply... simple and short

Message 19 of 24
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Chase has a long a** memory. Whether BL'ed or not, you'll always get HP'ed anytime you apply... simple and short

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.