Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting better terms

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting better terms

I just wanted to share that today I called my zero balance card with high interest to lower my interest. NOt only did they lower the purchase interest by 6%, they then gave me a lifetime of the blanace transfer ofer for only5.9%. All of my balance is on my other card with slightly lower interest, but nw I've been able to drop it by10% forever! That's $500 a year. The transfer fee was capped at $75, which still makes it worth it.

I didn't do anything special. No begging, crying, pleading. Just asked politely.  I just wanted to encourage others to do the same.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting better terms

I am getting ready to call AMEX to ask for a APR reduction-
15.24 is my highest APR- 

Get in the habit of calling an asking- I recommend every 60 days.

I PIF anyways- BUT I know lot's of people with lower rates.

Message 2 of 10
specultr
Regular Contributor

x

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was your card transfered to WAMU or SST?

specultr wrote:
Do you think Providian would give me an APR reduction? They are my oldest card (2001), highest CL ($14k) and highest APR by far (22%). I'd like to get better terms or a different credit card, but I don't want another TL. I just want to improve this one or change products.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always say that if four or more months have gone by, your FICO score has gone up 20 points or more since you last negotiated terms, and you haven't had any lates, by all means ask for better terms (lower APR, CLI, lower or no annual fee, etc.).
Message 5 of 10
specultr
Regular Contributor

x

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have some great scores, to have an APR like that is pretty insulting.

I will note they will force you into what ever you original agreement was X+ prime not lower than X
They can over ride this-

I would send an online message to ask them to reduce the APR.
Message 7 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

If the 3 open CCs I have, 2 have lousy interest rates also.  I got them when I was sup-prime and one card is over 23 years old so closing it is not an option.

I use those 2 once every few months and PIF.  If they dont give you better terms, keep them open and use sparingly and alwsys PIF.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@specultr wrote:
Do you think Providian would give me an APR reduction? They are my oldest card (2001), highest CL ($14k) and highest APR by far (22%). I'd like to get better terms or a different credit card, but I don't want another TL. I just want to improve this one or change products.

Wow... I would definitely call for a lower APR. When I first received my WAMU my interest rate was higher than your current APR. It's now 10.24%. With the Fed cut, I hope to see it at 9.99% soon... unless they jack me, which they are currently doing to some people.
Message 9 of 10
specultr
Regular Contributor

x

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.