Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting brave w/ Amex spending ability

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Getting brave w/ Amex spending ability

I've put $25K through, but it was for a real charge.  I don't think there is any reason to worry about using this for a purchase you are actually contemplating.  Using it as a toy is what is generally discouraged.  Even if it won't lead to FR, I think it's still pretty silly to play around with it.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 40
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

I put 35 K through and it was approved.

I do not think you get the FR unless you hit the button a ton, and then run a huge charge through it.

IE you usually use your charge card for 2-3K a month.  Hit the button till it locks you out (obvisouly I have hit the button numerous times!) and then run 25K through on 1 charge. 

Message 12 of 40
Open123
Super Contributor

Somewhere in Amex, there's gotta be a person whose wondering if this "button" was a good idea.  

Message 13 of 40
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Somewhere in Amex, there's gotta be a person whose wondering if this "button" was a good idea.  

Haha.  I just have to wonder how they could put this feature in place and then punish you for using it.  Doesn't make sense to me.  

Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 14 of 40
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Haha.  I just have to wonder how they could put this feature in place and then punish you for using it.  Doesn't make sense to me.  

Cash advances work similarly in many people's experience.  Just because a lender allows you to do something, doesn't always mean you should Smiley Happy.

        
Message 15 of 40
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

First month check $4k approved 5k declined

Run about 1.8k first month

Second month :  run 200

thirth month : check approved for 8k go for 10k declined....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 16 of 40
score_building
Senior Contributor

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

use vs. misuse

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 17 of 40
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

I thought there was a story on here a while back where someone got a call from amex after using the spending button 4 or 5 times for gradually smaller amounts and getting declined each time... I don't remember if it turned into a full FR, but amex definitely took note.
Message 18 of 40
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see a reason to use it unless you actually want to charge the amount that you type in. Otherwise you could call customer service and find out the same information.

Tool vs. Toy
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 19 of 40
linux007969
Established Contributor

Out of curiosity I just tried it for $1,000 and it was approved "based on the information available at this time" which is good to know i could at least charge up to $1,000 if needed.

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.