cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting credit card approvals with high inquiries!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting credit card approvals with high inquiries!

I made the mistake of trying to get a car loan right after discharge and racked up a  ton of inquiries before i got approved! Is there a way around that as far as getting better cards or should i stick with the CO Platinum($300), and Merrick($550) for now?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Getting credit card approvals with high inquiries!

Depending on the model, you have between 15-30 days for all auto-loan coded inquiries to only count as one HP. Basically, you can rack up as many auto loan coded HPs in that given time and it will only count against you, in terms of FICO score, as one HP. Now, I cannot speak for how the 'black box' for instant approvals reads them. 

There are a few users on here that always have around 30 inquiries and keep getting approved for cards. 

Message 2 of 9
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I made the mistake of trying to get a car loan right after discharge and racked up a  ton of inquiries before i got approved! Is there a way around that as far as getting better cards or should i stick with the CO Platinum($300), and Merrick($550) for now?

Hi, I just replied to your other post about needing help after BK. You need to read this guide and do not apply for anything else. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-p/1384075

Message 3 of 9
roughdraff
Valued Member

Hey I got approved for Amex delta sky miles only for a 1k with 62 inqs on exp. But I've gotten approved for a Barclay ring with about 20+ inqs on tu. Along with Barclay RMC, chase slate chase freedom and discover it all carried high inqs count, just be ready to explain those inquiries.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the Amex delta as well with 32 inquiries. About 70% of those were car loan related. I know it is supposed to count as one, but frankly many of them are not coded correctly and did in fact result in multiple inquiries with points loss at each one.
I also received the QS card from capital one and the Amazon and Walmart card with all those inquiries.
I'm done apping for anything for a while and will just focus on growing my lines and paying down any debts. I did just purchase a car for about 27k, so I'll focus on paying that down.
Message 5 of 9
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Getting cards with high inquiries is possible but in this case OP is only 4 months past CH 7 discharge. Regardless of high or low inquiries not many creditors are going to approve card applications.

Message 6 of 9
roughdraff
Valued Member

Yeah, you are correct! I overlooked the BK discharge fact. I'm thinking at least 12 showing months of on time payments which means about 13 actually, they might have a chance with perhaps a 20% or more APR. At that interest rate is perhaps just not worth it, depending on their situation.
Message 7 of 9
padme
Established Contributor

anything is possible, but you better go slow, just hit up a few SCT's and try a couple Prequal sites. Dont apply for anything else i think.. maybe discover/barclays after 12-16 months of you getting the ball rolling.. good luck on ur rebuild! after 28 months @55k now.. CU under 20%.. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Padme: How were you able to obtain 3 Venture cards? I'm very curious

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.