cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting in the Garden - how does this work?

tag
NibblesTreats
Frequent Contributor

Getting in the Garden - how does this work?

So I've seen many posts about "gardening" but I"m not sure how this works exactly.  Could someone explain it to me?  I'd like to be in the garden too. lol

Starting Score: TU 607, EX 606, EQ 611
Current Score: TU 675, EX 671, EQ 654 - FAKO scores TU 744, EX 735, EQ 728 - I wish these were my real scores!
Goal Score: 750 across the board. Simulator says 806 if I stay on track for 24 months
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
lkcrew426
Regular Contributor

Re: Getting in the Garden - how does this work?

You simply do not apply for new credit and/or do anything to create a hard pull on your credit report for a set amount of time that you determine in order to allow your credit to age.

Usually at 6 months, inquiries have less impact on your reports, and they stop impacting score at one year so typically people garden for one of these two amounts of time if their goal is solely to improve score.

Message 2 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

It means no hard pulls for CLI no new apps maintaining the cards you have. Soft pulls for CLI are encouraged.  You are encouraged and welcomed to join the garden thread for moral support. The first page of the thread explains it more.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 9
NibblesTreats
Frequent Contributor

Thank you both! For some reason I just saw that there were posts on this thread!  I'm going to check into joining a local credit union and then I will be in the garden for at least 6 months.  Want to purchase a house next year so I will need my credit to age and for my inquiries to not affect me so much at that time.

Current Score: TU 675, EX 671, EQ 654 - FAKO scores TU 744, EX 735, EQ 728 - I wish these were my real scores!
Goal Score: 750 across the board. Simulator says 806 if I stay on track for 24 months
Message 4 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

It means no new trade lines. And you enter when you say, "I've been in the garden since: ______" Which is whatever day you last had your last hard pull. (new tl)
Message 5 of 9
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

It's a magical place filled with garden gnomes and pixie dust. You get your newly acquired cards and place them in fresh compost. Water on a daily basis while you sing Jimmy Hendrix songs to them.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
It's a magical place filled with garden gnomes and pixie dust. You get your newly acquired cards and place them in fresh compost. Water on a daily basis while you sing Jimmy Hendrix songs to them.

Excellent description ROFLOL

Disclaimer *********Songs may change by plant species and gardenerSmiley LOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 9
NibblesTreats
Frequent Contributor

Oh what a magical place this must be!  Count me in! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.