Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting in with AMEX

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Getting in with AMEX

@jenn_bar wrote:

With that said, do you believe then that it is worthwhile to just get the BCE instead of the preferred and use the CSP for groceries? And just keep the BCE to hopefully keep increasing my credit limit throughout these next three years.

The whole idea is so I don't have to open anything for the next 2-3 years. That's why I thought the Hyatt was effective because of the free annual night and access to Ultimate Rewards.

From HLine's analysis, I think you're better off with the BCP.  Even if you don't buy $6k of groceries per se, you can still use them for GCs at the supermarket to maximize your return.

For me, the main appeal for the Hyatt are the initial 2 free nights.  So, you're going to pay the fee on both the Hyatt and CSP?

Message 41 of 62
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@jenn_bar wrote:

With that said, do you believe then that it is worthwhile to just get the BCE instead of the preferred and use the CSP for groceries? And just keep the BCE to hopefully keep increasing my credit limit throughout these next three years.

The whole idea is so I don't have to open anything for the next 2-3 years. That's why I thought the Hyatt was effective because of the free annual night and access to Ultimate Rewards.

From HLine's analysis, I think you're better off with the BCP.  Even if you don't buy $6k of groceries per se, you can still use them for GCs at the supermarket to maximize your return.

For me, the main appeal for the Hyatt are the initial 2 free nights.  So, you're going to pay the fee on both the Hyatt and CSP?

Yeah that seems a little much if I take on the AF of the BCP as well. So I might give up on the Hyatt for now. Smiley Happy

Message 42 of 62
HiLine
Blogger

I too, am of the opinion that cycling between cards is not worth the time and free will beyond a certain point, especially for relatively low spenders. I feel that jenn_bar is thinking in the right direction to stick with her BCP, Freedom, and CSP for most of her spending and adding one loyalty program card to benefit from the program's perks. 4 cards is pretty ideal for everyday spending. 

Oh, I might have forgotten at some point to say that jenn_bar should take advantage of the Ultimate Rewards Mall for online purchases and travel bookings as well, earning more UR points and receiving special discounts. Only Discover has a better online shopping portal. Smiley Happy

Message 43 of 62
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

I applied for the BCP and got a $2,000 credit limit, which I was sort of expecting with being a full-time student and a part-time job (except during summer). Hopefully it'll be 3x in 61 days.

Message 44 of 62
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

I too, am of the opinion that cycling between cards is not worth the time and free will beyond a certain point, especially for relatively low spenders. I feel that jenn_bar is thinking in the right direction to stick with her BCP, Freedom, and CSP for most of her spending and adding one loyalty program card to benefit from the program's perks. 4 cards is pretty ideal for everyday spending. 

Oh, I might have forgotten at some point to say that jenn_bar should take advantage of the Ultimate Rewards Mall for online purchases and travel bookings as well, earning more UR points and receiving special discounts. Only Discover has a better online shopping portal. Smiley Happy

That is exactly why I am so tempted to apply for the Hyatt right now. It seems that even with the AF, the free night takes care of it and I will be able to use it with the UR mall as well as get the perks of being a "platinum" member. It's honestly today or never. I will not be opening anything until I buy a new car/mortage in 2-3 years.

Message 45 of 62
Open123
Super Contributor

@jenn_bar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

That is exactly why I am so tempted to apply for the Hyatt right now. It seems that even with the AF, the free night takes care of it and I will be able to use it with the UR mall as well as get the perks of being a "platinum" member. It's honestly today or never. I will not be opening anything until I buy a new car/mortage in 2-3 years.

If you value the Hyatt and certain you will use the free annual night, then it's well worth the $75.  I'm from the school of thought where it's better to app now for rewards and not need it later, then to need it later and wish I would have app'ed for it.

Message 46 of 62
HiLine
Blogger

I think that is a wise decision. Good luck with the application!!!
Message 47 of 62
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 48 of 62
red259
Super Contributor

If your going to apply for the hyatt card you may want to reach diamond status with them before doing so. That way you can get upgraded to the top of the line suites that can cost approx $1000 a night when you use your two free nights. This only works if you make the diamond status with them prior to applying for their card. Getting the diamond status can be difficult, but if you have some travel coming up you may be able to get there. First you need Hilton gold status. This can be achieved by taking the challenge right now to do 5 stays in 90 days. Then you can use the hilton gold status to do the hyatt diamond challenge, which is 12 nights in 60 days. If you get the diamond status it will last through 2015 I believe. The perks are supposed to be phenomenal especially at some of the international locations. Its not for everybody but if you have some travel coming up anyway its a chance to get real status at a fraction of the cost.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 49 of 62
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@red259 wrote:

If your going to apply for the hyatt card you may want to reach diamond status with them before doing so. That way you can get upgraded to the top of the line suites that can cost approx $1000 a night when you use your two free nights. This only works if you make the diamond status with them prior to applying for their card. Getting the diamond status can be difficult, but if you have some travel coming up you may be able to get there. First you need Hilton gold status. This can be achieved by taking the challenge right now to do 5 stays in 90 days. Then you can use the hilton gold status to do the hyatt diamond challenge, which is 12 nights in 60 days. If you get the diamond status it will last through 2015 I believe. The perks are supposed to be phenomenal especially at some of the international locations. Its not for everybody but if you have some travel coming up anyway its a chance to get real status at a fraction of the cost.

That's a little too intense for me right now. I am doing this to benefit myself 3+ years in the future. Not necessarily for right now. Maybe I'll work on that way later! Smiley Happy

Message 50 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.