Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting in with amex with low score?

tag
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Getting in with amex with low score?

Possible? I only have two cards with cap one and one
With nfcu. My scores are 517 EQ and 600 Tu fico's. Crappy I know. Is there anyway to get my foot in the door with any prime cc? Even if its secured ? Please don't laugh or be harsh !
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Re: Getting in with amex with low score?

Apropos Amex, very, very unlikely. Case in point: yours truly.

700+ FICOs across the board...own home...six figure income...they won't touch me because of a three-year discharged BK...even though I have never burned them.

Now, clean report with good income? You MAY be able to get in with 650+, but 700 is far more likely. Amex is prime of the prime...their standards are pretty high.
In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 2 of 21
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

I have a bk discharged three yrs ago too. Is it the same for chase and discover? Barclays?
Message 3 of 21
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Barclays approved me for Apple with 1500 CL with a 616 TU FICO, but I had to recon 3 times. Discover is iffy with BK that fresh, but ymmv
In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 21
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

I agree and would not waste an inquiry and try to get your score up before applying. You are going to need those points when your score goes up over time and I think you would be hurting yourself for awhile.
Message 5 of 21
HiLine
Blogger

Amex does not offer secured products. You may be able to get a secured card with another bank such as BofA or Wells Fargo. As long as the BK stays on your record you will unlikely be approved for a non-secured prime card. Rebuilding credit takes a long time - I would start with what you have first, and work your way up.

Message 6 of 21
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Have to concur with Scuba. Patience and building a good credit profile are your best friends. You only do yourself harm applying for prime cards right now.

Message 7 of 21
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Oh I wasn't going to apply anytime soon! I know I've got a ton of work to do first. I have a charge off I'm disputing and one small collection, some invalid 90 day lates I'm disputing, and worst of all...over 30 inquiries on each report from car shopping for a couple months. Anyway I had a secured card with wells awhile back and after two months closed it along with my checking and savings because I went to a local cu instead. Just wasn't impressed with wf service after a year with them. But thanks for all the advice, I'm still working hard to reach 700+ eventually!
Message 8 of 21
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

I got in with AMEX at 7 month CC history today, low AAoA. However, I have no derogs and lates. Young account, several cards, in good standing. I have no idea what my FICO scores are now, but I know they're shot for the next couple months. They were probably just good enough just to tip me in, into primeland (brand-wise) with those guys.

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 9 of 21
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I would recommend a secured rewards card. US Bank has a couple decent ones.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.