Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting noticed by credit card companies

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting noticed by credit card companies

So, once you've cleaned your reports up, your scores are rising. I mean 700+. How long does it take for credit card companies to stand up and take notice? I don't mean the bottom feeder Credit Ones or First Premier types. I mean the big boys. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting noticed by credit card companies

What does 'take notice' mean? If you want something, app for it. They don't have to ask you. 

(I say this because I thought they DID have to ask you before I found this site. Really.) 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What does 'take notice' mean? If you want something, app for it. They don't have to ask you. 

(I say this because I thought they DID have to ask you before I found this site. Really.) 

How I found this site was curiosity spurred by getting a mailer from Walmart for a store card. So yes, in a sense someone did notice me. But, the ones that troll for the people rebuilding. What I mean are the Citis, BOAs, etc. And yes, you can just app etc which is what I do.  Maybe my question should have include, "Once your scores rise to given levels, do the premier lenders take notice in some way? Does your info get on a list in some manner? If yes, then how? How long would it take? I know time is an ambiguous question, but in general terms?

Message 3 of 7
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

As long as you are not opted out of the pre-screened list (by default you are opted in) of the credit bureaus, you are eligible for offer mailers. Almost all big banks request credit bureaus to send them a list of people that match certain credit profile. 700 is a good number for many of them. The banks then target the people (or some of them) based on some marketing logic, and send them either a pre-qualified offer or generic marketing mail.

Note that neither guarantees an approval ; but pre-qualified offers are slightly better, because the banks did some basic checks already. You can still get denied because your actual credit report is not as good as they had hoped.
Message 4 of 7
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Personally, I got bored of the mailers and also found it difficult to resist the urge to apply. So opted out of the pre-screened offers.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:
Personally, I got bored of the mailers and also found it difficult to resist the urge to apply. So opted out of the pre-screened offers.

Lol, I'm sure I will too, but it's nice to be wanted Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
happypill
Valued Contributor

I rarely get any mailers and never had any prequals, but I seem to be approved for most of the stuff I apply for these days (I know I'm blacklisted on a few so I don't poke them).  I recall getting a mailer for a Texaco/Chevron card I believe and I got an invite to apply for an REI card but I think that was mostly due to my membership with them.

So I'd say, more than your credit score or profile, you'll most likely get mailers at the places you shop and/or have accounts with.  Another reason my be that I always opt out of the "sharing data with our marketing partners" whenver I'm asked, so hopefully my name & address aren't floating out there in a bunch of marketing databases.  The best way to get yourself "noticed" by issuers is probably to opt into as many of those "data sharing partnerships" as possible.  Doesn't mean you'll have a better shot at a card, just means you're on their marketing list now.

If you want something, just initiate an app yourself, or at least check the prequal.  Waiting for lenders to actually reach out to you is a highly random way to actually get something useful that you want.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.