cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting own cards with thin file and AU accounts?

tag
lnacen
Valued Member

Getting own cards with thin file and AU accounts?

Hi yall

Been gone for a while, but want to ask a question for a sibling. They have a thin file, with just 3 AU accounts that are over 10 years old.

The limits are all around 30K. We havent checked scores for him just yet. Has anyone been able to get some decent cards/limits with

such a thin file? I dont know what scoring model is being used the most now, FICO 8 or 9? 

2 REPLIES 2
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Getting own cards with thin file and AU accounts?

Discover loves thin files....Id check the prequal and see if it offers them anything. If it says congrats, and offers a few cards with a SET apr, usually golden.

Also, could check the pre-quals for AMEX and Chase.
Message 2 of 3
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Getting own cards with thin file and AU accounts?

FICO8 is probably the most used, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't reach majority status. Various forms of FICO are common, including the classic FICO8, bankcard scores, and even mortgage scores. FICO8 is definitely the best for comparing notes on this forum, though.

As mentioned, I'd check the pre-quals. Discover and AMEX are good possibilities. I'd be a little more wary of Chase. Capital One is another possibility. Some lenders take AUs into account, while some discount or ignore them. But the AUs ought to be plenty to get this person going with an unsecured card from one of the decent lenders.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.