cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting "CHASED". Did it happen to anyone else?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting "CHASED". Did it happen to anyone else?

OK, so in the mail yesterday I get the "CHASE" letter. Now let me say, I knew this was NOT a CLD or closing of a CC, as I am NOT a Chase Customer.Smiley Happy

A little history. I live in an area where there were no Chase Banks, (Oregon, if I can say that) until about 3 months. When Washington Mutual closed (and they were a large presence here) Chase took over. Now I am seeing the "CHASE" signs going up on the local WAMU Branches.

SO, in this letter they say they would like to offer me their "CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED" Credit card. They say that it has no "pre-set spending limit" but they would be offering me a substantial "Credit access line" in the event I would choose to carry a balance on purchases.

They also said as an "introductory offer" they would be wil;ling to waive the $95.00 Annual Fee for the life of a card.

All I had to do was take this invitation to my local branch, introduce myself to the local Branch Manager and they would handle all the details.

SUCH A DEALSmiley Happy

I was just wondering if anyone living in areas where Chase has now came into had received any contact from them?

Of course I will go by and meet the Branch Manager and of course, I will decline the offer. I may though keep the letter to show to my local US BANK Branch Manager, in the hope I might use it to pressure a free lunch out of him.Smiley Happy

Message Edited by DickC on 08-13-2009 04:27 AM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Established Contributor

Re: Getting "CHASED". Did it happen to anyone else?

@Anonymous wrote:

I may though keep the letter to show to my local US BANK Branch Manager, in the hope I might use it to pressure a free lunch out of him.Smiley Happy

Message Edited by DickC on 08-13-2009 04:27 AM

LOLSmiley Very Happy

Good idea...maybe try for dinner instead?

Please post your "success."

Message 2 of 7
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Typical Chase top feeding. Any mention of an APR in that letter?

Skip the card - go for a nice lunch!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

As I look at the letter and the "fine print", it says the current variable rate is 12.24%.  It also states to have the yearly fee of $95.00 waived each year, You need to charge a total of $1000.00 to the card.

None of this really matters, as I have no intention of accepting the offer. Like I say though, may use the letter to score a free lunch.Smiley Happy

It does seem strange though, driving down the streets and seeing all the "CHASE" signs on banks. Makes me think I am back on the east coast.

Message 4 of 7
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

As I look at the letter and the "fine print", it says the current variable rate is 12.24%.  It also states to have the yearly fee of $95.00 waived each year, You need to charge a total of $1000.00 to the card.

None of this really matters, as I have no intention of accepting the offer. Like I say though, may use the letter to score a free lunch.Smiley Happy

It does seem strange though, driving down the streets and seeing all the "CHASE" signs on banks. Makes me think I am back on the east coast.

Ah, bank mergers and so forth...

When my wife and I moved to Connecticut we opened accounts at Connecticut National Bank, which got bought by Shawmut, which got bought by Fleet, which got bought by Bank of Boston, which got bought by Bank of America.  Shortly after the BoA deal became final, I happened to drive past a branch at the precise moment a crane was hoisting up the BoA sign and the old FleetBoston sign was on a flatbed truck to be hauled away.

Once upon a time I had a FirstUSA Visa card, which became Bank One Visa, and eventually the Chase card it is now.  I must say, Chase has beengood to me: decent customer service, automatic credit limit increases that have made it my highest-limit card at over $25K, and the APR right now at 5.25% is my lowest rate.

Our mortgage used to be with Washington Mutual until at the height of the real estate boom they sold a bazillion dollars worth of prime-fixed-rate mortgages to Wells Fargo so they could go after higher-yield subprime stuff.

A friend used to be a programmer with a telco (until her job went to India); she says the comments section in their payment-processing code had a comprehensive history of bank mergers: "Routing code XXXX formerly CT National now Bank of America, Routing code YYYY formerly..."  After she had been unemployed for a while she got a retroactive ruling in her favor that entitled her to something like 26 weeks of bigger unemployment payments.  She expected to get one check for the increased benefit total, but instead over about three days she got TWENTY SIX ENVELOPES each containing a check for one week of additional benefits!

Message Edited by MattH on 08-14-2009 07:38 AM
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is getting strange seeing new banks come into the area. Of my 4 credit cards I have (3 Visas, 1 MC) only 2 of them are with the bank I originally got them from, these banks being BOA and US BANK.

One CC was originally issued by PULASKI BANK which is now IBERIA BANK and the other one was originally from FIRST INTERSTATE BANK, which is now WELLS FARGO.

Will give credit where it is due though, as the transition was always smooth.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was with Wamu and it's sign was changed this wk. No offer for me.  But enjoy your lunch    Smiley Happy   
Message Edited by ExcellCR on 08-16-2009 01:38 PM
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.