Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting ready to close my Cabela's

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Getting ready to close my Cabela's

I've tried to make this thing grow, but it just doesn't want to budge. Time to move on!

I have $55.83 in rewards as well as a credit balance of $11.17. Can I go to the store and buy a $67 gift card using my rewards, pay with my Cabela's Visa, and get it back to a $0 balance? I searched online to see if I could use my rewards to buy gift cards, but I don't see a clear answer. Anyone have experience doing so?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting ready to close my Cabela's

@DeeBee78 wrote:

I've tried to make this thing grow, but it just doesn't want to budge. Time to move on!

I have $55.83 in rewards as well as a credit balance of $11.17. Can I go to the store and buy a $67 gift card using my rewards, pay with my Cabela's Visa, and get it back to a $0 balance? I searched online to see if I could use my rewards to buy gift cards, but I don't see a clear answer. Anyone have experience doing so?

For some reason, I cannot explain, I always wanted a Cabela's card-I don't even shop there. I guess I like the look ha! Anyway, I can't answer your questions; I think for now they are pretty integrated with the bank as Capital One has not taken over the cards yet. I would imagine your plan would work but it wouldn't hurt to call first to avoid a trip to the store that may end frutiless. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The rewards need to be used on merchandise I would just buy something the cost a little bit more to use rewards and your credit… and then pay it back off. You can close an account with the balance and just pay it off before the statement cut. I am in the same boat. I opened mine a year-and-a-half ago and no progress either. I have rewards to burn too.
Message 3 of 5
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Just spent my $293 in rewards on 2 Fitbit, overall I like cabelas but still confused on why they CLD me $500... if it goes to BofA or citi I'll keep it, if not it'll sit in the SD
Message 4 of 5
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

I ended up buying a vacuum sealer and some bags. Used the rewards, then specifically requested $11.17 on the card, then used a giftcard for the rest. 

Next week I'll call and close it Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.