cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting ready to pull the trigger soon...

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Getting ready to pull the trigger soon...

I am waiting for my TU scores from Discover.

I want to app for the Sallie Mae card for gas/groceries/amazon rewards.  I am expecting my TU score to be between 690-710ish.

I have two baddies...one paid tax lien (working on having it removed but I don't expect it to change before I apply)

One 90 day late from Jan 2011 student loan. Only one HP and it is older than 12 months. 

That's it.

Also planning to apply for Amex Everyday which I believe pulls EX.  I have a 690 with them but I am waiting for my lower util from 30->20% to show on my CC as well as my CLI with QS.  So hopefully it will be a bit higher.  I also have a prequalify letter with code (although I know it is not a gaurantee for approval).  I have the same baddies as mentioned above with TU pluse I have one paid collection with Midland, which may or may not be deleted before I app. Only two HP's and they are older than 12 months.

My most recent ap was Discover card and was approved for $2000. It was in Jan and I will have 4 months reporting. 

My QS is over a year old and $0 balance.

Do I seem ok to apply?  Just wanting it done and nervous....
If I am not going to be approved or just get small limits, I would rather wait.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Getting ready to pull the trigger soon...

Personally I would wait for the lien & paid CA to drop if you are working on getting it withdrawn/removed. You want to present yourself in the best light to the creditor. Barclays would prob approve you but im not sure about AMEX with that 90 day late, it may be too recent for them. I would also recommend you get 6 months of reported history under your belt (Discover) prior to apping as well.

Message 2 of 8
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Personally I would wait for the lien & paid CA to drop if you are working on getting it withdrawn/removed. You want to present yourself in the best light to the creditor. Barclays would prob approve you but im not sure about AMEX with that 90 day late, it may be too recent for them. I would also recommend you get 6 months of reported history under your belt (Discover) prior to apping as well.

I am working on getting the lien to be removed. But I can not count on it happening. If they don't withdraw the lien then I am stuck with it until 2020.

My AAoA is 10 years.  The 90 day is over 2 years old and it is with Nelnet so basically impossible to GW for removal. 

I figured Amex should be somewhat decent possiblity to get since I keep getting pre-approval letters from them. Not sure if they only see my scores or what but I would assume if I don't meet their general requirement I wouldn't be receiving all of these apps. I've gotten four so far. Cap1 sends me the most followed by Amex.  

My Cap1 QS does have over 12 months of reporting history, so I am not sure if you just think the Discover should be a little longer too?

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@BluePoodle wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

I am working on getting the lien to be removed. But I can not count on it happening. If they don't withdraw the lien then I am stuck with it until 2020.

My AAoA is 10 years.  The 90 day is over 2 years old and it is with Nelnet so basically impossible to GW for removal. 

I figured Amex should be somewhat decent possiblity to get since I keep getting pre-approval letters from them. Not sure if they only see my scores or what but I would assume if I don't meet their general requirement I wouldn't be receiving all of these apps. I've gotten four so far. Cap1 sends me the most followed by Amex.  

My Cap1 QS does have over 12 months of reporting history, so I am not sure if you just think the Discover should be a little longer too?

I take a conservative approach to gaining new credit so I tend to be more cautious when it comes to applying. I just think that you would be better served if you had 6 months on the Discover to go along with the Cap-1s, you may have the shot with Barclays without it. If Amex is sending you pre approved apps you may have a shot with them too just depends on your overall profile. Your choice, good luck Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

I take a conservative approach to gaining new credit so I tend to be more cautious when it comes to applying. I just think that you would be better served if you had 6 months on the Discover to go along with the Cap-1s, you may have the shot with Barclays without it. If Amex is sending you pre approved apps you may have a shot with them too just depends on your overall profile. Your choice, good luck Smiley Happy

Thanks! I have been very conservative with my applications.  I have done all I can at this point.

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 5 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

i am probably going to pull the trigger soon on sallie mae too, Just wondering if i should wait also.

1. 7 open accounts

2. AAOA of 6 years

3. utilization of 1%

4. 7 HP within the last year.

5 Opened 3 accounts last september.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 8
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

i am probably going to pull the trigger soon on sallie mae too, Just wondering if i should wait also.

1. 7 open accounts

2. AAOA of 6 years

3. utilization of 1%

I am no expert so starting your own tread might be better. SM pulls TU as far as I have read and you have good scores. I think the only thing perhaps neg is that they are HP sensitive. Perhaps others can offer more feedback.

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 7 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

1. 7 open accounts

2. AAOA of 6 years

3. utilization of 1%

I am no expert so starting your own tread might be better. SM pulls TU as far as I have read and you have good scores. I think the only thing perhaps neg is that they are HP sensitive. Perhaps others can offer more feedback.

I decided to hold off till after 3rd quarter, since 3rd quarter my freedom and IT both have 5% gas categories, and have BCP has 6% categories. All my HP will hit one year anniverseries so maybe it will be an bit safer when I app. October i think i will go on my app spree for cash+, sm, and fidelity amex 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.