Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting rid of Credit Cards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting rid of Credit Cards.

Hello.

I wonder if the credit industry has come up with a way to get credit cards off of the listing on your

credit report?

I won't mention my age but some of the credit cards listed on my credit report are for stores that

no longer exist.  Cutting them up is one way of ridding myself of them but wouldn't you think there

would be a way to stop listing them without having any credit score affect.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Getting rid of Credit Cards.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello.

I wonder if the credit industry has come up with a way to get credit cards off of the listing on your

credit report?

I won't mention my age but some of the credit cards listed on my credit report are for stores that

no longer exist.  Cutting them up is one way of ridding myself of them but wouldn't you think there

would be a way to stop listing them without having any credit score affect.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums.

You want as many old accounts in good standing to remain on your reports as long as possible. Closed accounts generally will remain for up to 10 years after closing but if you have some still on there then count your blessings. Those accounts continue to help your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts) and your credit length history.

Having those there is helping your score not hurting it.

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.