Valued Member

Getting rid of monthly fees on a bunch of old cards?

When I was in rebuilding phase, I took what I could get.  At the time, I only qualified for a few low limit cards and they all had mothly fees.  Now I am in gardening mode with a few high limit cards.  I do not want to close down the old cards (history), but I want to get rid of those small monthly fees.  One slip of forgetting to pay a $6 fee for a card I haven't used in a while and I take a major step backwards.  Anybody have any advice on how to eliminate those fees?  Thanks.

Start 2013 500s
Current: EX: 742 EQ: 599 TU: 725 (in the garden until 2015)
Highlighted
Valued Member

Re: Getting rid of monthly fees on a bunch of old cards?

My best guess would be to ask for a product change... To a card without any fees.

Established Member

Which cards are they?

A lot of times you can have them convert you to a no-fee card. It may be a better or worse card, but you will keep your history.

Valued Member

"Which cards are they?"

Capital One

Credit One

Legacy

First Premier

Start 2013 500s
Current: EX: 742 EQ: 599 TU: 725 (in the garden until 2015)
Senior Contributor

panicattack wrote:

"Which cards are they?"

Capital One

Credit One

Legacy

First Premier

Except for Capital One, I don't think those companies have cards without AFs. I know Credit One offered to waive the for one month when I called to close it so I don't think they waive the fee for long periods of time. You may want to call and ask though. 

Are you sure you don't want to close them? IMO, those cards with super high fees serve a purpose during rebuilding,  and now that you've gotten better cards and higher limits, I think you'd be better off without them.

Current cards: CSP - Freedom - Discover It - Amex BCP - BoA BBR - Capital One QS and QS1 - Citi TY

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.