cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting rid of monthly fees on a bunch of old cards?

tag
panicattack
Valued Member

Getting rid of monthly fees on a bunch of old cards?

When I was in rebuilding phase, I took what I could get.  At the time, I only qualified for a few low limit cards and they all had mothly fees.  Now I am in gardening mode with a few high limit cards.  I do not want to close down the old cards (history), but I want to get rid of those small monthly fees.  One slip of forgetting to pay a $6 fee for a card I haven't used in a while and I take a major step backwards.  Anybody have any advice on how to eliminate those fees?  Thanks.

Start 2013 500s
Current: EX: 742 EQ: 599 TU: 725 (in the garden until 2015)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Goose7
Valued Member

Re: Getting rid of monthly fees on a bunch of old cards?

My best guess would be to ask for a product change... To a card without any fees.
Message 2 of 5
RockySC
Established Member

Which cards are they?

A lot of times you can have them convert you to a no-fee card. It may be a better or worse card, but you will keep your history.

Message 3 of 5
panicattack
Valued Member

"Which cards are they?"

Capital One

Credit One

Legacy

First Premier

Start 2013 500s
Current: EX: 742 EQ: 599 TU: 725 (in the garden until 2015)
Message 4 of 5
Irisa
Senior Contributor

@panicattack wrote:

"Which cards are they?"

Capital One

Credit One

Legacy

First Premier

Except for Capital One, I don't think those companies have cards without AFs. I know Credit One offered to waive the for one month when I called to close it so I don't think they waive the fee for long periods of time. You may want to call and ask though. 

Are you sure you don't want to close them? IMO, those cards with super high fees serve a purpose during rebuilding,  and now that you've gotten better cards and higher limits, I think you'd be better off without them.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.