cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting stubborn with cards that wont increase their limits!

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Getting stubborn with cards that wont increase their limits!

Folks, lashing back at individuals who are behaving inappropriately doesn't do anything for your image here on the forums.

Use the "Report Inappropriate Content" option and let the mods handle it instead of continuing a series of ad hominem attacks.  I understand schoolyard dynamics having been there before, and I know that such things are tolerated on other forums; however, they are not here.

--Revelate, myFICO moderator

        
Message 21 of 32
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So my discover and bank of america cards wont go up in limits despite $3000 and $6000 respectively PIF over the last several months..

PIF itself doesn't matter.  Any creditor will only grant CLI's when your credit meets their critiera.  You can't just assume that you'll get CLI's because you made payments.  Payment history is just one factor that goes into evaluating your credit.  A few months isn't really much significant history.  If you're expecting CLI's every time you PIF for a few months then you'll be frequently disappointed.

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone else do this? 

I don't.  Spend depends on rewards -- not whether I received a CLI or not.  That said, do whatever works for you.

@Anonymous wrote:

By the way, plenty of users here encourage to call in for a discover soft pull after three months.

It's certainly possible to get a CLI in 3 months but, again, depends on one's credit.  X time is never a guarantee in and of itself.  Also, be careful reyling on what "plenty of users have said" regardless of topic or discussion forum site.  Always consider the sources and do your own due diligence.  There are a lot of very broad generalizations that tend to get spread that may or may not be relevant to every situation.

Message 22 of 32
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Involver said to use cards to my advantage, which I indicated in my original post that I would, hence "assuming no benefits for rewards are being sacrificed." Meaning I wouldn't avoid using my discover this month at a resturaunt because they didn't give me a cli, I would rather get the 5% from discover (and "use the card to my advantage") than get 2% from amex.

I was just going to say it may be worth it to take a HP on BofA they're great. Congrats on your cli! This is perfectly reasonable approach to utilizing your cards I fail to see the issue others are having. I don't necessarily think it's entitled. Are we so beholden to the credit card companies as to run hundreds, if not thousands of dollars through them for the hope of a sp cli? Sorry, absent the points incentive, to earn my business you have to work with me and if after a reasonable time frame I don't see that happen then I'll turn to other companies/CCs. Thankfully I've had very reasonable limits thus far.

Message 23 of 32
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

+1
Message 24 of 32
Involver
Valued Contributor

I'm kind of sad I missed the opportunity to see the reply.

Lenders care only about you as much as you are a risk to them and how much money you can make them.  If you aren't getting CLIs regardless of your spending patterns, it's because you aren't satisfying them in the aforementioned ways.  Sock-drawering their cards makes absolutely no difference to them.

Good luck with your CLIs.  

Message 25 of 32
Open123
Super Contributor

@Involver wrote:

Lenders care only about you as much as you are a risk to them and how much money you can make them.  If you aren't getting CLIs regardless of your spending patterns, it's because you aren't satisfying them in the aforementioned ways.  Sock-drawering their cards makes absolutely no difference to them.

+1

While the concept of "sock-drawering" does wonders for self gratification, if you really want to get back at Discover, then use *ONLY* the 5% categories, PIF right before the due date, request paper statements and call them once per day to ask random questions.

Message 26 of 32
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@Involver wrote:

+1

While the concept of "sock-drawering" does wonders for self gratification, if you really want to get back at Discover, then use *ONLY* the 5% categories, PIF right before the due date, request paper statements and call them once per day to ask random questions.

LOL!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 27 of 32
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Involver wrote:

+1

Who uses Discover for anything besides the 5% categories? Smiley Tongue

Message 28 of 32
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Involver wrote:

+1

LOL!

LOL x2!!!

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 29 of 32
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Involver wrote:

+1

LOL!

LOL x2!!!

...good one ...LOL

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.