Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting super annoyed with Amex...

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Getting super annoyed with Amex...

@Anonymous wrote:

@TT91 you are not the first person I have read here with that same exact problem (Amex Gold Delta @ $1,000 CL) and it's bizarre that this is not a "one off" situation.  I have also seen very similar posts about those having a Chase Freedom with an original SL of $1,000 and not getting increases.  I know none of this makes it better, just know you are not alone.

Yeah but given that the Freedom has a spending cap of $1500/quarter, why would you need more than 1K there when one can pickup a Cap One Quicksilver just as easily for anything above that unless you have the CSP anyway in which case you can quallify for the FU (5/24 not withstanding) and use that instead.

Get limits on cards that you need it on, ignore it on others in my opinion.

        
Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@TT91 you are not the first person I have read here with that same exact problem (Amex Gold Delta @ $1,000 CL) and it's bizarre that this is not a "one off" situation.  I have also seen very similar posts about those having a Chase Freedom with an original SL of $1,000 and not getting increases.  I know none of this makes it better, just know you are not alone.

Yeah but given that the Freedom has a spending cap of $1500/quarter, why would you need more than 1K there when one can pickup a Cap One Quicksilver just as easily for anything above that unless you have the CSP anyway in which case you can quallify for the FU (5/24 not withstanding) and use that instead.

Get limits on cards that you need it on, ignore it on others in my opinion.

I get that is the details of the card (I don't have the Freedom) but this is more focused on CLI's and not the specifity of the cards limitations or such.

Message 12 of 32
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In recent months, as you see by looking at my signature, my existing cards (and my new Citi Prestige) have all graduated limits in the $7,000 - $12,000 range, save for a crummy credit union Visa I've not used in a year, and my Amex Delta Skymiles card.

The credit union visa I couldn't care less about, but Amex is really annoying me by refusing to increase my measly $1,000 limit on the Skymiles card. At any time on the NPSL Gold card, I'm good to spend $10,000 - $15,000 according to the "check your spending power" tool, but can't get a bump from $1,000 on Skymiles that I've had for 6 months and run a reasonable amount of money through?

I'm really not all that enamored with the Skymiles in the first place, so I apped for the Blue Cash Preferred online last night after being told by a rep a few weeks ago on the phone that I had a pre-approved offer on my account for Blue Cash Everyday. As I only see the BCP as having value enough to open a new card, I apped, and was declined after receiving the 7-10 day message.

You'd think Amex would at least want to remain close to competitive with a customer's other cards...

/End rant.

Having other cards with higher limits does not mean others will follow suit

Could be a DTI thing 

Could be to many cards to fast 

Could be a number of reasons including a short history with Amex who likes to see history 

Also the check spending feature of Amex does not mean the amount will be approved. It just means at that very moment it might be approvedSmiley Wink 

Sorry about the denial BTW but in all fairness the rep didn't say you were pre-approved for BCP that was your selection instead of BCE which most likely would have been approved 

You have 2 options nurture the relationship and grow the TL over time or close it and move on to the next lender and hope for the best 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 32
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How long have you had the card and what is yor current EX score?

+1

OP, how much is a reasonable amount of spend? How much do you use the PRG?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 32
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

I had a Delta card with a $30k spending limit and when I applied for the BCP they gave me $2k. Trying recon and no-go. I had to reallocate some of my CL to the BCP to be able to use it without worrying about going over the limit! At this point, it has grown, but it took more than a year and two sp CLIs (oh, and a 4506t request that I declined to honor). So yeah, they can be weird and stingy. Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 32
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Reading the posts, I'm glad I held off and will apply soon with much higher scores than when I first considered it. I'm sure ymmv but I'll at least be better positioned to possibly avoid the initial low SL.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 16 of 32
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@RM21 wrote:
Reading the posts, I'm glad I held off and will apply soon with much higher scores than when I first considered it. I'm sure ymmv but I'll at least be better positioned to possibly avoid the initial low SL.

Scores don't completely determine your SL as usual, but I am sure a good score helps with it. For me, I think it was more that I was at their internal limit for me at the time, for whatever reason. But when they are generous, AmEx can be very generous. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still like amex but there are some good cards out there. The new one from Costco is tempting. May try for it after I get a Costco membership
Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im in same boat with Amex. 750 scores. Solid income. 25-ish util. And can't get them to budge 1 cent on my delta or bce. $1k limit on both. Delta I carry zero balance. The other I carry a balance b/c it's 0%.

I've gotten to the point where I do t care and will probably just get a csp.
Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:
Well if it's any consolation your in good company with a lot of people. I'm not saying this is your case, but I see people who barely skate by with an approval getting these small $1k SL's and are so happy just to have a foot in the door with Amex. The only problem is, they stay stuck in that $1k CL bucket for a long time. It's almost like Amex holds your past against you no matter how well you've demonstrated responsibility with their card. Hopefully they give in soon and offer you a CLI or a new card with a higher SL, Good Luck.

I am def one of these people.  Applied for my first Amex in March 2016 which was the Hilton Amex and was only approved for a $1.4k limit.  A bit disappointing but I was just glad to have my foot in the door.  Hilton is my preferred brand hotel so having the opportunity to earn additional points is pretty awesome.  My card has since grown to a CL of $2.8k.  I plan to put a great deal of spend on the card and PIF each month and hopefully Amex will become more generous with the CLI on my account in the future. 

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.