Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the run around with Wells Fargo

tag
myfreshstart27
Established Member

Getting the run around with Wells Fargo

Hello everyone. I've been reading up on your forums trying to soak up all of the information and knowledge I can on rebuilding my credit; and I know that since I have NO revolving lines of credit at the moment that is the place that I need to start.

I recieved a pre-qualification from Wells Fargo a few months back for a College Card but I did not feel comfortable applying at the time (had an extremely old bank charge off from before I turned 18 on my credit report that was about to drop off).

Well, I pulled my CR a few days ago and that charge off had dropped off so I decided to take the plunge and attempt to apply for the WF college card, knowing that if I was denied I would just go ahead and get the Secured Card.

So, I applied and they needed me to fax them verification about my school status, I took care of that the same day and waited 24 hours to call them to check the status of my application. The automated voice from the 1-800 number said I was denied for the following reason(s)... then failed to list the reasons. I asked to speak to a representative and the 1st representative attempted to transfer me to the CA department but unfortunately it was closed. I waited until this morning to call back and the 2nd represenative was very nice and she stated that the reasons were more than likely an oversight that needs verification so she transferred me to a department that specifically deals with the college credit cards. When this representative got on she was extremely rude and rather than telling me or explaining to me the reasons she told me I would be notified by mail in 5-7 business days. I told her that I was transferred specificially to her department so she could explain the situation to me and she took my information and again said I would be notified by mail.

I emailed Wells Fargo to try to get some clairification explaining the CSR situation and everything. They emailed me back stating that I need to call (for the third time) to speak with a representative.

I really want this card to help build my credit up but I am so sick of getting the run-around for something that is currently a denial. Should I call for the third time or should I just go ahead with plan B and get the secured credit card?

age: 24 | status: rebuilding mode | short term goal: 650 | long term goal: 800
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting the run around with Wells Fargo

There are other credit card issuers and you may need to look beyond Wells Fargo. Truth, Wells Fargo can be strange at times. Others on this site may better be able to offer card suggestions.

Message 2 of 7
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Don't waste your time with WF.  Just get the secured card from Bank of America.  They'll unsecure it after 1 year of responsible payment history and you'll be on your way.

Message 3 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

@myfreshstart27 wrote:

Hello everyone. I've been reading up on your forums trying to soak up all of the information and knowledge I can on rebuilding my credit; and I know that since I have NO revolving lines of credit at the moment that is the place that I need to start.

I recieved a pre-qualification from Wells Fargo a few months back for a College Card but I did not feel comfortable applying at the time (had an extremely old bank charge off from before I turned 18 on my credit report that was about to drop off).

Well, I pulled my CR a few days ago and that charge off had dropped off so I decided to take the plunge and attempt to apply for the WF college card, knowing that if I was denied I would just go ahead and get the Secured Card.

So, I applied and they needed me to fax them verification about my school status, I took care of that the same day and waited 24 hours to call them to check the status of my application. The automated voice from the 1-800 number said I was denied for the following reason(s)... then failed to list the reasons. I asked to speak to a representative and the 1st representative attempted to transfer me to the CA department but unfortunately it was closed. I waited until this morning to call back and the 2nd represenative was very nice and she stated that the reasons were more than likely an oversight that needs verification so she transferred me to a department that specifically deals with the college credit cards. When this representative got on she was extremely rude and rather than telling me or explaining to me the reasons she told me I would be notified by mail in 5-7 business days. I told her that I was transferred specificially to her department so she could explain the situation to me and she took my information and again said I would be notified by mail.

I emailed Wells Fargo to try to get some clairification explaining the CSR situation and everything. They emailed me back stating that I need to call (for the third time) to speak with a representative.

I really want this card to help build my credit up but I am so sick of getting the run-around for something that is currently a denial. Should I call for the third time or should I just go ahead with plan B and get the secured credit card?

Call again and hopefully someone else can be more helpful.

Your best bet is to drop by a branch and have a banker help you though.

Do you have any banking accounts with WF?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 7
myfreshstart27
Established Member

enharu wrote

Call again and hopefully someone else can be more helpful.

Your best bet is to drop by a branch and have a banker help you though.

Do you have any banking accounts with WF?

Yes I have a student checking/savings account and a joint savings/checking account with my SO there.

I am just going to look into other credit card companies. I'm sick of the run around and I don't want to have all of my financial eggs in one basket to begin with. Thanks everyone. Smiley Happy

age: 24 | status: rebuilding mode | short term goal: 650 | long term goal: 800
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good idea to spread your eggs. If a bank decides to cut you off for any reason then your beached. I made the mistake of putting all my eggs in one basket. Today I remember the Boy Scout Motto: "always be prepared."
Message 6 of 7
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

While it would be nice for a customer service representative to be able to tell you, whats wrong with waiting for the letter? A few other lenders will tell you the same thing if a card is declined because the representatives cannot see the reasons why.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.