Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting tired of amex suspending charges

tag
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

Getting tired of amex suspending charges

I have had the Amex Gold PRG since 2011 and lately they have gotten completely unreliable to the point that it has become a gamble on wether the card will work or be declined at a store.

I charge around $1500-$2500 Per Month on the card, The big issue is that very often Amex will freeze the card after it reaches close to a $2000 balance, The worst part is that evertime this happens amex wants me to pay the full balance on the card to unfreeze it (Not just the current amount due), So basically they want me to pay for charges that are not due until next month.

"The balance on your account referenced above is approaching a level where we may need to temporarily suspend your charging privileges.

To ensure uninterrupted use of your Card, please call us today at 1-800-230-1284 to discuss your account(s). We are available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week."

The message above has basically been a regular occurance in the last 6 months, On some occasions in the past i have charged $4000+ on the card without any issues, I am not sure what is triggering these suspensions now, My spending pattern has not changed and we always pay the card on time.

Has anytone had this issue before? Frankly if this doesn't stop i will have to start using another card because i am tired of being embarrassed at a store everytime my card gets declined.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: Getting tired of amex suspending charges

that is really annoying! u have been in good graces with them for 4 years and spend sometimes a twice than you normally do. that shouldn't me a red flag imho.

that's another why I never rely on an amex card, besides the obvious reasons. 

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is odd. Has anything changed in your credit report in the last year?

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

+!...any increase in utilization?? New TL's...inquiries...etc. Amex is notorious for being proactive with respect to credit actions...they sniff around your credit reports LOOKING for a problem and, if anything spooks them, they will DEFINITELY let you know.

Gregg

Message 4 of 25
Klesko
Regular Contributor

I stopped using Amex in 2008 when they kept refusing random charges. I had egg mcmuffins declined three times in 4 months at my mcdonalds on the way to work. I had multiple others charges including the most embarassing when I took my wife to vegas and the room charge was declined even after I let them know I was going to be in vegas to approve all charges and they confirmed it. 

After that I was forced to stop using them, could not take it anymore. 

Penfed Visa 10k | Penfed PLOC 25k | Citi Hhonors 10k | Total Rewards Visa $25k | Alliant Visa $15k | Barclays Arrival + $13k | Barclays AAdvantage $5k | Barclays Apple $2.2k | CapOne QS WMC $26.5k | CapOne QS $5k | CapOne Plat $5k | Discover 8.5k | Allegacy Visa $6k | DCU Visa $7.5k | Best Buy Visa $11k | Lowes Store Card $30k | Walmart Store Card $10k | Amazon Store Card $25k
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would walk from charge cards then. there's anyone experience this with their revolvers at all?
Message 6 of 25
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

close it, its my motto for any creditor that does this to me, I dont even give them the time of day for an explanation.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear.  That is a huge inconvenience...  Why not switch your spending to another card?  It seems Amex does not want your business.

Message 8 of 25
jsucool76
Super Contributor

If that happened to me, i'd take all my credit needs elsewhere real fast.

Have you spoken with amex about why this is happening? Any answers? Try reaching out to the social media team (@AskAmex on twitter) and see if they can help you.
Message 9 of 25
baller4life
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

close it, its my motto for any creditor that does this to me, I dont even give them the time of day for an explanation.

+100 no way would I put up with that for even a second. Toodles!!✌

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.