Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giants Rewards/NFL Rewards Card through Barclays

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Giants Rewards/NFL Rewards Card through Barclays

Hey everyone. So I was chatting with my brother who received a preapproved offer for the Giants Rewards card through Barclays. He's visiting me tomorrow so I can review the paperwork before he apps (want to see if its a preapproval or preselected, benefits he was offered, etc.) Before he apps. His creditkarma is a 730 with a $5500 student loan, $750 Capital One Journey, and $5000 Discover Open Road Student.

Questions:

CreditKarma reviews make it seem like this is a subprime card with people getting approved in the high 500s low 600s and only a few people reporting scores in 700s. Is it a subprime card?

Because his score is good, could this make it less likely for him to get the card? Still a relatively low AAoA of 11 months with credit history of 1 year 3 months. Most recent inquiry was in June for Discover and one last year from Capital One.

Also, will this card hold true to Barclay's inquiry/New credit sensitivity for 6 months after?

Thanks everyone!
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
patsfan1453
Regular Contributor

Re: Giants Rewards/NFL Rewards Card through Barclays

The Giants version is subrime. The Patriots version however is a much more valuable card Smiley Happy  Just kidding! haha

Amex Everyday 6k || Chase Sapphire 5k || Buypower Card 5k || USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard 4k || Citi TYP 4.9k|| Citi Forward 5.5k || Discover It 2k || Chase Freedom 5.5k || Walmart 1k || Chase Amazon 1k
Business: Chase ink cash 5k || AMEX Simply Cash 3.8k
Total CLs: 48.7k
Message 2 of 15
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Very funny Smiley Tongue you may want to be careful saying that to someone who lives near minutes away from MetLife Stadium Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 15
mxp114
Valued Contributor

The Giants version is more elite, they are the Super Bowl champs whereas the Patriots version is the subprime Smiley Very Happy lol

Message 4 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

You do know that pre-approval and pre-selected means very little right? Often time what you have is a lender asking a CRA to produce a list that meets generic (very generic) requirement. Lender takes that list and mail these so called "pre-approval" to everyone on the list.

Another tip, ignore credit score when you have thin file. Credit score is absolutely meaningless when it comes to thin file. You can have FICO of 750+ and AAoA of less than 2 years. High credit score doesn't make up the fact that you have thin file.

Most of Barclays are very hard to get for those with thin files, with the exception of Apple Visa and iTune Visa. However if the term offers 24.99% APR on purchase with no introductory APR offer, then it is a easy card to get.

Message 5 of 15
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

You do know that pre-approval and pre-selected means very little right? Often time what you have is a lender asking a CRA to produce a list that meets generic (very generic) requirement. Lender takes that list and mail these so called "pre-approval" to everyone on the list.

Another tip, ignore credit score when you have thin file. Credit score is absolutely meaningless when it comes to thin file. You can have FICO of 750+ and AAoA of less than 2 years. High credit score doesn't make up the fact that you have thin file.

Most of Barclays are very hard to get for those with thin files, with the exception of Apple Visa and iTune Visa. However if the term offers 24.99% APR on purchase with no introductory APR offer, then it is a easy card to get.

Yeah, I do realize the big difference between the two, which is why i want to read over the paperwork to see which it is! And his credit file isn't terribly thin, so he should be fine! I've seen people with much thinner files getting approved for AMEXs and such. I think the APR is relatively high, but not terrible, and tons of people seem to be getting approved with 600s, so I will look into it more. Thank you for your response!

Message 6 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Yeah, I do realize the big difference between the two, which is why i want to read over the paperwork to see which it is!

Both pre-approval and pre-selected are meaningless. Neither one has higher weight vs the other.

And his credit file isn't terribly thin, so he should be fine! I've seen people with much thinner files getting approved for AMEXs and such. I think the APR is relatively high, but not terrible, and tons of people seem to be getting approved with 600s, so I will look into it more. Thank you for your response!

I see a lot of approval with AMEX charge card, but very few thin file for AMEX credit card.

Message 7 of 15
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Yeah, I do realize the big difference between the two, which is why i want to read over the paperwork to see which it is!

Both pre-approval and pre-selected are meaningless. Neither one has higher weight vs the other.

And his credit file isn't terribly thin, so he should be fine! I've seen people with much thinner files getting approved for AMEXs and such. I think the APR is relatively high, but not terrible, and tons of people seem to be getting approved with 600s, so I will look into it more. Thank you for your response!

I see a lot of approval with AMEX charge card, but very few thin file for AMEX credit card.

It's weird...some people say preapproval and preselected mean nothing, but others claim that preapprovals, though not guaranteed because your credit can change, will more than likely result in an approval compared to if you app'd on you're own. It is possible that it can vary by creditor, just a stroke of luck, etc. We will see!

And yes, I agree with the charges for thin files compared to the credit cards through AMEX. Charge cards are always easier to get, whether it be AMEX, stores, etc.

Barclay's seems to be a great company, but they may be like Capital One in which they cater to different consumers in the market (Capital One offers prime and subprime cards). https://www.creditkarma.com/creditcard/CCBarclays1205?originEvent=240918738 The NFL Extra Points card seems to have competitive APRs and even has a 0% intro APR for new purchases and balance tranfers, yet the average credit score approved for it is 647? It's a little confusing lol.

Message 8 of 15
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Questions:

CreditKarma reviews make it seem like this is a subprime card with people getting approved in the high 500s low 600s and only a few people reporting scores in 700s. Is it a subprime card?

This particular card is either a Visa Signature or a World MC (depending on the team), so it is not sub-prime. Having said that, the interest rate they give you likely is going to be determined by your Credit score, and could could be anywhere from 13.74% (decent) to 22.74% (Not so much), and the higher tier interest rate could be considered sub-prime by some.

Because his score is good, could this make it less likely for him to get the card? Still a relatively low AAoA of 11 months with credit history of 1 year 3 months. Most recent inquiry was in June for Discover and one last year from Capital One. 

This is another card where if your credit file/score does not qualify you for the Signature/World Card, you will be considered for a platinum card, and some people got $500 limits (this was when there was a rush to get the card because of the nice sign-up bonus). I believe that even the people that got the small limits still qualified for the same sign-up bonus as the people that got the higher end cards.

Also, will this card hold true to Barclay's inquiry/New credit sensitivity for 6 months after?
This card is definitely right in line with their inquiry/new credit sensitivity qualms. I have a US Air card with them already (open 3 years). When I applied, I got the "deferred" decision (I am told this happens everytime you already have a Barclay's card, which sends it for a manual review). The CSR I spoke to asked the regular questions (income, etc), but then wanted to know about my many new accts (5-6 in past 6 months - I told him they were opened for the rewards, LOL). I was approved (5k limit), but not before I was warned to not obtain any new cards for the next several months (when asked he said 6 months), or else risk CLD/AA from them.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 9 of 15
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Wonderful! Thank you so much for your response! We're likely applying tonight, so we will see how it goes! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.