cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gift Cards to earn Chase Rewards for Supermarket and Airline gift cards?

tag
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Gift Cards to earn Chase Rewards for Supermarket and Airline gift cards?

@CreditDunce wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@CreditDunce wrote:

What are talking about?  A couple thousand dollars spread out across several merchants to meet the spend bonus requirement.  Then use the GC in the next couple of months for normal spend.  I can't see this being a problem for the OP.   Also, airline gift cards purchased from an airline will likely count as travel spend.  Of course, it doesn't make as much sense to do this and not PIF.  Or to buy the gc and not use it quickly.

I am planning on meeting a sign-on spend bonus by buying GC's for xmas gifts this year. 

Nice choice, will add to my basket of meeting spend (along with rent, etc).  Smiley Wink

Ha, the slippery slope!   So I buy $3K of Visa gift cards for all my lucky relatives.   Hey, but that's a bit impersonal isn't it.   I know, I will liquidate the gift cards, pay off the credit card bill, and then buy them nice gifts!   But while I'm here, I may as well buy another $3K of Visa gift cards for the points.....

Yep, it is impersonal.  I am not a good uncle.  I was thinking about airline gc for neice 1, etc.  It will make it easier for all of the "gifts" to be the same value.  I have to be creative to meet spend.  I don't have rent/mortgage.  My utilities are modest (plus most are now charging fees for paying via CC). The curse of a saver.  Slippery slope indeed.  Before you know it I will be stalking drug stores looking for reload cards.

They charge fees for rent (which MAY go up Smiley Wink), but utilities no (pay ahead).  And I meant REAL retail gift cards guys.  Smiley Tongue very small amount of virtual "gifts"?  I met the 3k bonus spend easily on Ink Cash without any of the above, so what is 1k more Smiley Wink?

Signature needs updating
Message 11 of 18
dragontears
Senior Contributor

OP I don't think buying a few gift cards when you are grocery shopping is going to cause chase to raise an eyebrow or think anything is out of ordinary. $100-200 in store gift cards should be fine buying $1000 at once might be a different story.
I have bought gift cards with my freedom when it had the grocery category (and was 5X fuel points for gift cards weekend).
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an interesting thread for me.

A few months ago when I worked for Office Depot, a gentleman came in and bought $4,000 worth of VISA and MC gift cards for his employees on his Chase Ink Bold. We started talking credit cards (that's a phrase I never thought I'd say) and he was explaining to me how Chase was offering a certain bonus on the office supply category, and that he comes in to all of the OD stores to do it every time Chase offers that category.

We had to do four separate transactions because he bought I think around 80-100 cards. After the first transaction, he "knew" there would be a fraud alert and he literally counted down until he got a call from a Chase employee he knew by name who cleared the fraud alert and approved the charge. It was pretty interesting.

I photocopied his DL and entered all the information into the Anti-Money Laundering form and then emailed the information to the District Loss Prevention Manager who said everything looked legit. He was an awesome guy to meet. Runs a blog about points and travel - competitor to TPG.
Message 13 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Scupra wrote:

I purchased a bunch of gift cards from the supermarket in order to give them away as gifts at work for referrals.. I do not see this as MS as I am not turning around and using the gift cards to pay off my credit card. I did do this at Fry's on a double fuel points day though, made out like a bandit Smiley Happy

+1... I love my fuel points!  Smiley Tongue

I buy fast food, eBay, and Amazon gift cards with my BCP at Kroger whenever they run the '4x fuelpoints' promotion on gift cards, and I do very well also... I generally get almost $20 knocked off a tank of gas!  Smiley Very Happy

I'll add that Chase, Amex, etc. can't see what is purchased with their consumer cards at grocery stores, all they see is a transaction - they can't tell if you're buying a gift card or a filet mignon. 

The only time I've ever heard of people having problems with this is when they go 'crazy' with it, as in spending literally thousands each month at a grocery store - that's clearly not normal (at extreme spend levels I"ve read that the issuer may request copies of your receipts to make sure the transactions were legitimate).  My personal take is if you are merely buying cards to use as they are intended you shouldn't have a problem in any case.  Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

I purchased a bunch of gift cards from the supermarket in order to give them away as gifts at work for referrals.. I do not see this as MS as I am not turning around and using the gift cards to pay off my credit card. I did do this at Fry's on a double fuel points day though, made out like a bandit Smiley Happy

I buy fast food, eBay, and Amazon gift cards with my BCP at Kroger whenever they run the '4x fuelpoints' promotion on gift cards, and I do very well also... I generally get almost $20 knocked off a tank of gas!  Smiley Very Happy

I'll add that Chase, Amex, etc. can't see what is purchased with their consumer cards at grocery stores, all they see is a transaction - they can't tell if you're buying a gift card or a filet mignon. 

The only time I've ever heard of people having problems with this is when they go 'crazy' with it, as in spending literally thousands each month at a grocery store - that's clearly not normal (at extreme spend levels I"ve read that the issuer may request copies of your receipts to make sure the transactions were legitimate).  My personal take is if you are merely buying cards to use as they are intended you shouldn't have a problem in any caseSmiley Wink

Well, the checkout register doesn't know your intention!   So it really is just plausible volume.   Also, on low capped cards like BCP, it shouldn't be an issue, as you simply cannot spend enough to be a problem.   Most of the crackdowns have happened on uncapped cards (which may as well have said "Abuse me!") where people would spend tens of thousands per month (me) or hundereds of thousands per month (those with more appetite for risk!)

Message 15 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

The only time I've ever heard of people having problems with this is when they go 'crazy' with it, as in spending literally thousands each month at a grocery store - that's clearly not normal (at extreme spend levels I"ve read that the issuer may request copies of your receipts to make sure the transactions were legitimate).  My personal take is if you are merely buying cards to use as they are intended you shouldn't have a problem in any caseSmiley Wink

Well, the checkout register doesn't know your intention!   So it really is just plausible volume.   Also, on low capped cards like BCP, it shouldn't be an issue, as you simply cannot spend enough to be a problem.   Most of the crackdowns have happened on uncapped cards (which may as well have said "Abuse me!") where people would spend tens of thousands per month (me) or hundereds of thousands per month (those with more appetite for risk!)

LOL... very true, my friend... for the uninitiated who might be reading, volume was exactly what I was alluding to.  Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

When Chase Freedom was supermarkets last quarter I would buy a $50 Arco gift card every other time I visited market. worked great for me. Now if you're buying some kind of a prepaid credit card or debit card to liquidate money and make a payment back on The Chase that is the bad move.
Message 17 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
When Chase Freedom was supermarkets last quarter I would buy a $50 Arco gift card every other time I visited market. worked great for me. Now if you're buying some kind of a prepaid credit card or debit card to liquidate money and make a payment back on The Chase that is the bad move.

On a Freedom capped at $1,500?   Not really.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.