Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Entry vs TSA PreCheck vs Nexus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Global Entry vs TSA PreCheck vs Nexus

So now I have 2 cards that offer the credit for Global Entry / TSA PreCheck. The CSR and now the Citi AAvantage. 

Most of my international trips are to Canada in which I believe it's better to use Nexus.. My question is has anyone ever applied for a Nexus using either of the above two cards and received the credit?

Thank you

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Global Entry vs TSA PreCheck vs Nexus

You will not receive the credit on any of the typical GE/PreCheck cards for NEXUS. I wish NEXUS were covered and I wish there NEXUS enrollment centers further from the Canadian border. NEXUS is cheaper and if you are near an enrollment center, it makes sense to just go for that since it also includes GE and PreCheck. If you do get Global Entry, you can use the NEXUS lanes coming back into the states, but not going into Canada.
Message 2 of 9
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

TSA is mucher easier to get. 

Message 3 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Don't know Nexus well but TSA is a waste of time: get the global entry if your'e going to do it at a minimum in my opinion... especially if one has cards that reimburse it.

Only real problem with GE is the wait at major airports for your interview which can be measured in months... I needed it fast made an appointment for the next day and simply drove from Los Angeles to Arizona down to a border crossing and easy peasy, omtel cost me $40 and gas but meh, sorted before going on my international tour, and so worth it on the return trips.

        
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Don't know Nexus well but TSA is a waste of time: get the global entry if your'e going to do it at a minimum in my opinion... especially if one has cards that reimburse it.

Only real problem with GE is the wait at major airports for your interview which can be measured in months... I needed it fast made an appointment for the next day and simply drove from Los Angeles to Arizona down to a border crossing and easy peasy, omtel cost me $40 and gas but meh, sorted before going on my international tour, and so worth it on the return trips.

I've seen that same complaint from others.  I think it is a regional problem. When my g/f and I got ours last year we were able to make an appointment at Dulles (DC area airport) 5 days later after we put in the request.  It was super simple and agree completely, TSA is a a waste.

Message 5 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yeah Irish, you and I have had the waiting problem conversation before.  It seems that DC and NYC seem to have appointments readily available, while other areas like Boston don't even have any appointments left in 2018.  My family actually ended up scheduling our appointments far away (far in time and far in distance), then discovered we'd actually be able to do our interviews in Toronto while there on vacation.  Of course we were then kicking ourselves for not just paying out-of-pocket for NEXUS (and you can't just apply on the spot), but normally speaking it would have been a 4-5 hour drive to the nearest NEXUS enrollment centre for us.  NEXUS is $50 for adults and kids are free, so if you have a family and are close enough to the border, it may be break-even or cheaper to do NEXUS, which also includes both Global Entry and TSA PreCheck benefits.

BronzeTrader, I'm not sure if you meant that TSA PreCheck is easier to get than NEXUS or Global Entry (or both).  The process for all 3 of them is essentially the same from my understanding and all of them require a sceduled visit to an enrollment center.  TSA PreCheck doesn't require a passport, but the citizenship requirements are more restrictive.  I do find it pecuilar that NEXUS isn't included in the typical frquent traveler program reimbursements, as it's a lower expense for the card issuers.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just pre-apped for the Nexus online and it looks like I'll have to drive 3 hours up to Niagara Falls for the interview. Canada customs normally gives me quite a bit of grief coming over to work and I'm hoping the Nexus card eases that pain a little bit. 

As as far as the TSA pre-check, it seems out of my home airport Pittsburgh PRe-check saves some time. So I filled out the app on line and set up an appointment. 

I dont do very much international travel besides Canada so I think I'll wait on Global Entry.

Ive been a road warrior for 23 years now for my job and now that I'm getting a little older I prefer to fly over sitting in a car all day. I've been flying every week lately. 

Message 7 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just pre-apped for the Nexus online and it looks like I'll have to drive 3 hours up to Niagara Falls for the interview. Canada customs normally gives me quite a bit of grief coming over to work and I'm hoping the Nexus card eases that pain a little bit. 

As as far as the TSA pre-check, it seems out of my home airport Pittsburgh PRe-check saves some time. So I filled out the app on line and set up an appointment. 

I dont do very much international travel besides Canada so I think I'll wait on Global Entry.

Ive been a road warrior for 23 years now for my job and now that I'm getting a little older I prefer to fly over sitting in a car all day. I've been flying every week lately. 

Oh no!  You don't have to do the TSA PreCheck interview, as you'll be automatically enrolled in Global Entry and TSA PreCheck when you do your NEXUS interview!!! (Our CBP interviewer was amused that we were in Canada getting GE instead of NEXUS.)  Fortunately, you used a card that will reimburse you for the fee that you paid for TSA PreCheck, so on harm no foul.

All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the Global Entry kiosks for entry at participating airports.

NEXUS members are eligible to participate in TSA Precheck. U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents enrolled in Global Entry or SENTRI are also eligible to participate in TSA Precheck.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I didn't catch chat. Well I can always cancel my TSA appointment. They didn't ask for a fee during the application so I'm not out anything. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.