Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go overlimit and pay off before closing date

tag
minipoly1
Contributor

Re: Go overlimit and pay off before closing date

I am about to hit the Submit button when I receive the notification from myfico. Definitely need to think more about it.

Amex BCE $17,600 | CSP $6,200 | PayPal Extras MC $3,000 | Discover $3,000 | BofA $3,000
Last app: Oct 1, 2013. No app until 2015 or new credit card with big bonus introduced.
Message 11 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I used to think that; and I did see small modest increases. For example; after I exceeded my 3.5k limit they bumped me up to 4.2k... but after 12 months of not exceeding my limit I got two auto increases. First was from 4.2 to 5k. Then to 13.5k!!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 12 of 18
nfs_mw
New Contributor

Just pay the additional amount before purchase..Don't overdraw..

Assuming you have no balance .an additional 100 payment will make your CL temp to 1100..

Message 13 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@nfs_mw wrote:

Just pay the additional amount before purchase..Don't overdraw..

Assuming you have no balance .an additional 100 payment will make your CL temp to 1100..

Have you done this before??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 18
nfs_mw
New Contributor

I used it on my Bofa card when that was the only card I had..

The limit increase wont be shown on your currect CL...Just a Credit on your account transactions

So if you make a purchase of 1050 the 100 Credit will bring your balance to 950 which is well under the limit

Message 15 of 18
carlismycat
New Contributor

Re: Go over the limit and pay off before closing date

This is something a credit manager with capital one told me yesterday, after asking why can't I get a CLI even though I'm in good standing, and haven't had one (my first and only) since 3 months after first opening the account.

She told me in order to make them think "hey this person is spending more, thus needs a higher limit, lets give them a cli" , I need to spend more than the cl . Do not confuse this with going OVER the limit.

She went on to further explain, by giving me an example. If my cl is 500, and my total spending for each month is 600/700+ from me making lets say 2-3 large  purchases like 200-300 each, then turn around and immediately pif, and do all that before the due date (to still show zero/low balance when they report) they are more likely to say "Hey this person needs a higher limit (AND can be trusted) because they are spending more, but is doing it responsibly!"

I'd say with that info, you want to make sure purchases on your card don't go over your limit, but instead pay a large amount on the card and just use cash (or another cc) for the remainder amount due for that one purchase.

Most places have a way to take more than one method of payment for one purchase. Then as soon as it posts to the account, pif immediately.

Be careful and make sure tbe timing is good though! some merchants don't finalize the cc transaction on their machine for many days,causing s delay in it posting to your account. Make sure the cc is not so close to your cycle ending that the purchase posts after the statement period ends when they report things. If there is a better way, please correct me. But I would do those things above ,if I was trying to maximize my cc usage for a possible auto (or requested approved) cli, And/OR if I really needed to make this large purchase,and there was no way to break it down into smaller separate purchases.

Another example. If your talking about one thing that you can't do a lay s way on . But if it was a bunch of different supplies/things from one store for an event/party,etc... (like a ton of groceries your planning to buy) you can get away with breaking that down into several smaller purchases by grouping those things separately on a list of things to get bought over the course of 1-2 weeks.

Hi Carliscat!

I noticed that you seem to be having trouble posting.  If you are using a mobile phone, you can click on the "Spell Check" button that will help correct many typos. I have edited your post to correct the typos here, and split the paragraphs up to make it easier for people to read your response! 

Also, keep in mind you can edit your response. It is possible to edit your own post if you have posted an incomplete message. To edit your post, go to the post. To the right you'll see "Options." Click on "Options" and select "Edit Message" from the drop-down menu. If you have accidentally posted a duplicate message, you can use the “Report Inappropriate Content to a Moderator” link to ask the moderation team to remove one for you. To find this link, go to the duplicate post, click on "Options," then select "Report Inappropriate Content to a Moderator" from the drop-down menu. If you need any help with anything, let me know.

Thanks! Enjoy your visit here on the forums!

webhopper

Trying to garden again: Myfico Experian: 621, Myfico Equifax : 613, MyFico transunion: 639
Goal : 780

Message 16 of 18
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

Did you try overpaying the account and tried charging the amount about your CLI?

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 17 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

@nfs_mw wrote:

Just pay the additional amount before purchase..

Exactly!!! 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.