Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goals have been met... now what?

tag
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

Re: Goals have been met... now what?

I feel pretty similarly, even though I only have four cards. Two years ago all I had were loans on my reports and now I'm in the high 700s, with my only major recurring categories, gas and grocery, taken care of by Sallie Mae. Everything else is picked up by Discover for now because of double cash and I don't really have another category that is high enough that I'd benefit from a dedicated card, such as for dining. I'm not interested in cards with travel rewards so I am not sure where to go from here, and I'm OK with that. Just patiently waiting for new cards and evaluating my need for them.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 41 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a defeatist thread. Set new goals.
Message 42 of 79
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@barthooper wrote:

I feel pretty similarly, even though I only have four cards. Two years ago all I had were loans on my reports and now I'm in the high 700s, with my only major recurring categories, gas and grocery, taken care of by Sallie Mae. Everything else is picked up by Discover for now because of double cash and I don't really have another category that is high enough that I'd benefit from a dedicated card, such as for dining. I'm not interested in cards with travel rewards so I am not sure where to go from here, and I'm OK with that. Just patiently waiting for new cards and evaluating my need for them.

That's an excellent way to put it... who knows, there's always the possibility of a 'game changer' card just around the corner!

While I've added most of my cards over the last year, I've tried to keep HPs to a minimum, so hopefully a new card would still consider me.

So far I have 4 EQ, 4 TU, and 3 on EX.  Considering 3 of those were from a Capital One app and two were from NFCU, I don't think that's too bad... I've seen folks on here with quite a bit more who are still able to get new accounts, so I'm probably OK (one EQ will drop off next fall).  If that new card does eventually show up, hopefully I'll be prepared for it!  Smiley Wink

Message 43 of 79
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

This thread is as much about others meeting their goals and how they're moving forward as it is about my arriving at my personal credit goals, and certainly no one here has been 'defeated' - actually, quite the opposite. 

Thanks for your suggestion.

Message 44 of 79
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CraigHwk wrote:

In the same boat as you really.   This time last year, I only had 1 credit card which was the Barclays Reward Mastercard.   Now, I have pretty much every card that I wanted, and then some.   For me, it's all about letting my AAoA grow, as it is very low due to all the new cards I received this year.  I am also keeping track of the cards I use most and those I am ignoring and will consolidate down sometime late next year to make everything more manageable.  

Barclay's is a good company to be in with.  I see from your signature you have my girl Sallie Mae as well!  As I have mentioned before, I asked her out back in the summer, but she was too good for me.  Actually, the reason she didn't give me a chance was because I had a relationship with a cousin of hers, Juniper, a few years back, and that relationship turned sour. 

It seems that all the dames in that family talk to each other, and they have good memories as well.  Maybe some day they'll decide to give me another chance!  Smiley Very Happy

Sallie was really my only disappointment over the last year... I've mostly made up by getting the BCP, but it would have been nice to at least have Sallie as an option.  I'm with you on the AAoA as well... at this point, it doesn't make much sense to take on new cards needlessly.

Message 45 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know what you mean, UncleB!!! I have pretty much all the cards that I want and now that I have them, it's bittersweet -- both awesome because I have accomplished so much of what I have wanted to accomplish, but also a little sad because there isn't much to aspire to anymore. There are only a couple of ones that I want left and none of them are super pressing. This time last year all I had on my credit report was a Wells Fargo card (that had just unsecured) and a one month old Capital One card. Now I'm in with Chase, Barclays, Bank of America, Discover, Citi, U.S. Bank, and American Express. If you had told me I would have gotten in with all of these lenders within a year, I would have asked you to keep looking for the rest of your marbles.

LOL Many of us know that feeling!

Message 46 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This thread is as much about others meeting their goals and how they're moving forward as it is about my arriving at my personal credit goals, and certainly no one here has been 'defeated' - actually, quite the opposite. 

Thanks for your suggestion.

I agree that it is the opposite of defeatist. It means first goals accomplished. Looking around a bit then deciding what next goals should be.

Message 47 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a great post OP.

I won't meet my credit card goals until mid year 2016, but I can speak from the stand point of someone who has met many many of my other goals in life. I can tell you the real issues begain when I failed to creat a true maintenance plan. Have you done that, yet? I mean a measurable goal that is written down. Perhapse that is a change in fico scores, perhapse it's as others have suggested raising your amex CL or keeping your limits below 9 percent for a year. Anyway just a suggestion for the next step, but also wanted to say bravo and congratulations. 

Message 48 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a great post OP.

I won't meet my credit card goals until mid year 2016, but I can speak from the stand point of someone who has met many many of my other goals in life. I can tell you the real issues begain when I failed to creat a true maintenance plan. Have you done that, yet? I mean a measurable goal that is written down. Perhapse that is a change in fico scores, perhapse it's as others have suggested raising your amex CL or keeping your limits below 9 percent for a year. Anyway just a suggestion for the next step, but also wanted to say bravo and congratulations. 

+1

Message 49 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

You've defeated debt? Now become an investor.
Message 50 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.