Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goes to show being cautious isn't good enough.......Additional 7/11/15

tag
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Goes to show being cautious isn't good enough.......Additional 7/11/15

Yep... My CSP got hit last night with an online fraud charge, and the CSR told me there was one more attempt behind it, that was flagged, and shut down.

What a PITA. 

Ironic that it happens during the Chase system maintenence though....

*UPDATE:

Haven't even activated the CSP replacement. Still in envelope, sealed, and sitting collecting dust... BAM!!! New card has a fraud charge from Canada. Only reason I knew the account number was from being logged in. The CSR seemed very "shocked" that I had a FC on an unactivated card, so close to the prior event.

I'm ready to just tell Chase to stick it. Not worth the headache now.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Re: Goes to show being cautious isn't good enough

Sorry to hear that. Yes that is ironic. I will be watching my accounts more closely.
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 2 of 15
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Checked my other accounts after the call, and my ring got nailed too, for an online sports hat hipster type store.

Message 3 of 15
axlm
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear. Maybe you can figure out where did you use both cards in order to get an idea where your info was taken.

I find it really frustrating when it happens and one doesn't have the slightest idea of where Smiley Mad

Last update: NOV 2022

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

keep in mind too that just walking down the road it is possible to obtain your card information. those scanner things are pretty powerful. who did you piss off? lol kidding about that part.... kinda..
Message 5 of 15
Runitup
Regular Contributor

Make sure you tell them to overnight the card to you.
Message 6 of 15
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Since your Chase and Barclay cards were both hacked, i would immediately change all your online passwords, and make sure they are all different and strong. Ramp up the security settings on your computer. If you have your passwords/login info stored anywhere on your phone or computer or in a cloud somewhere, remove them now. There may have been nothing you could have done to prevent this, but do what you can to keep it from getting worse. Also, I would suggest freezing all 3 reports. All this is a PIA for you, I know, but it could get much worse, without some prevention intervention.

Message 7 of 15
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Countingpennies wrote:

Since your Chase and Barclay cards were both hacked, i would immediately change all your online passwords, and make sure they are all different and strong. Ramp up the security settings on your computer. If you have your passwords/login info stored anywhere on your phone or computer or in a cloud somewhere, remove them now. There may have been nothing you could have done to prevent this, but do what you can to keep it from getting worse. Also, I would suggest freezing all 3 reports. All this is a PIA for you, I know, but it could get much worse, without some prevention intervention.

If you've read my prior posts from years ago, I'm the ID theft proactive King. Had to do the real deal, not just a few cards being scammed.

Message 8 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I had an online retail account hacked a few months back... it was horrible.  Someone hacked the store account, then changed my email address to their own, permanently locking me out of my own account.  They then used my stored credit card info to place orders for delivery to their address. 

It really drove me crazy how they were able to get my logon credentials... especially since (like many folks) I was lazy and used the same password across multiple accounts.  Luckily it I caught it really quick since I have the card that was used set to send an alert for every authorization, and the two charges were easily reversed.  I still have no idea where my security broke down, but I've amped up everything... I made sure all the security/sharing settings on my computer were set appropriately, and I subscribe to a paid VPN which I use anytime I'm not on my home router. 

Strangely, the one thing that had never occurred to me until that moment was how vulnerable I would be if my email account were ever compromised - that would truly be like losing the 'keys to the kingdom'.  With access to my email, someone would be able to reset most if not all of my retail and financial accounts.  I had never thought of my email account as being so 'critical' until this happened.

Note:  I now appreciate how Amazon makes you reenter your credit card into anytime you want to have a package delivered to a new address.  Until this happened to me I thought it was a nuisance, I now appreciate the added security.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:
Strangely, the one thing that had never occurred to me until that moment was how vulnerable I would be if my email account were ever compromised - that would truly be like losing the 'keys to the kingdom'.  With access to my email, someone would be able to reset most if not all of my retail and financial accounts.  I had never thought of my email account as being so 'critical' until this happened.

one thing my former IT coworker told me while ago (that I still do), keep your email address separate for different types of accounts, if it's something that involves financial accounts, have dedicated email for that, have another email address for online shopping or subscription, have third one for signing up for news letter.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.