cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going down to only 2 cards Major Closings!

tag
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Re: Going down to only 2 cards Major Closings!

@Anonymous wrote:

I only have 2 cards, but that's because my credit history is only 9 months old. That said, I don't want to have more than 4-5 cards at one time. But as long as the OP isn't closing their oldest cards and their score/AAoA will be fine, then I see no problem! Simplicity is good. But yeah, the lowest I'd go is probably 3.

OP would be fine to close and still have the tradelines report as positive history. 

Message 31 of 64
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@bigalkescott514 wrote:

So I'm tired of having all of my cards so I'm closing my Walmart Mastercard, Citi Double Cash, Chase Unlimited, Wells Fargo Amex, BoA Cash Rewards, BP Visa, Paypal Xtras MC, Barclay Rewards any Meijers Mastercard. Everyone is going to freak out about this but oh well my credit my choice.

I would keep this one. What's your CL?

Message 32 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I've been doing the same. Aiming to hold onto 3-4 cards only. I dumped store cards last month. Working on some bank cards now.

This site can become very addictive. All information is very useful but the addiction comes from within. I got to a point where applying to see if I can get approved for it was an adrenaline rush.

I'm grateful for everything this site has down for me and will have better self control going forward. This may not be your case. Just my experience.
Message 33 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consolidation is good, though you might want to keep 3 for optimal scoring purposes.

Message 34 of 64
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats! I've been doing the same. Aiming to hold onto 3-4 cards only. I dumped store cards last month. Working on some bank cards now.

This site can become very addictive. All information is very useful but the addiction comes from within. I got to a point where applying to see if I can get approved for it was an adrenaline rush.

I'm grateful for everything this site has down for me and will have better self control going forward. This may not be your case. Just my experience.

This is not an experience isolated to you. I see it everyday on here.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 35 of 64
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good for you OP! I hope in 2 years i can do the same and just cut down to whats most useful and beneficial to me. Glad to see a success story always gives hope to those still building their profilesSmiley Happy
Message 36 of 64
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Sounds like a good choice if that is what suits what your plans are for the future ( or short term future ). I opften question myself as to why I need multiple cards, yes they serve differnt purposes but some are comparable...Like Freedom and Discover after the double cash back....then what,  many of the 5% categories seem the same

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 37 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 38 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you OP!!!

I closed my BoA BR card this morning, so I'm on the same track.

Message 39 of 64
driftless
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

I've often said on these threads, given a restriction to one card, the Quicksliver is it. To make it really ideal, it would be a QS VISA, because VISA is accepted more places than even MC, but I don't think the network change is available as a PC.

Yup, if I could have only one card it would a QS.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 40 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.