cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going down to only 2 cards Major Closings!

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Going down to only 2 cards Major Closings!

@bigalkescott514 wrote:

You know what I'm gonna keep the Venture One MC Discover and Chase unlimited cause the 1.5 rewards are justlike the qs rewardswise and its visa (sorry yall typing on my s7 edge not my pc so my typing sucks today.

Good 3 cards to keep. And I think 3 cards is a perfect number.

But I have a suggestion: instead of cancelling all at once, why don't you just SD the ones you want to cancel, and just officially cancel one a month, so you can gauge what kind of effect the cancellations are having on your scores. Since your goal is a good home mortgage, you want to keep an eye on those scores. If you find the closings are impacting your scores adversely, you can slow down the pace to one every two months.

Just a thought.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 41 of 64
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Why on earth would anyone freak out??

Good job OP. The best thing is knowing what works for you and your individual situation!

When my reports are clean and I'm all "rebuilt" I plan to have a Cap One card (probably QS), an AMEX and one other major...And someone will have to pry Target and Amazon from my cold, lifeless hands Smiley LOL

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 42 of 64
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I totally get it. While I will never go down to just 2 cards I have been thinking about closing some accts as I dont want too much exposure. The nice thing about creidt it really is your choice. Some of like having multiple accts that we micro manage to get the best rewards, cash back etc, some are into collecting cards, bonuses and others simply want 2 or 3 Great cards and a simple life. The only card I would wonder about closing  is the Double Cash which has a reputation as one of the better cards out there.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 43 of 64
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

If it feels like its the thing to do, then no reason why you shouldn't.  I don't have a lot of cards, just 4.  Thats plenty for me.  I plan on getting rid of CapOne because they won't raise my limit and replace them with something else (already closed one of their cards for the same reason)  having additional cards can be tempting so do what you must to keep that type of temptation in check.  I do also have the paypal credit line but didn't use it much until I moved...6 months deferred can come in very handy!

I think your idea is solid.  I had 4 cards but stayed with very low utilization while in closing.    Good luck with getting your first house!

Message 44 of 64
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm always on board with someone making a choice based on personal need or usage with the cards. If I think I see something that I can suggest or help with, as many others did in this example, I'd surely still mention it. In this case OP, I think you'll be fine with the cards you are keeping.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 45 of 64
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Im all for simplification but id keep at least 3 cards for scoring purposes.. perhaps 4 

recently i had to explain this to a few family members... that having more than 2 cards is a good idea...

-J

Message 46 of 64
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Congrats 2 ya... Do what works for u.....forget what others think.....Best Wishes to ya !!!!!!!!!!

Message 47 of 64
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@bigalkescott514 wrote:

You know what I'm gonna keep the Venture One MC Discover and Chase unlimited cause the 1.5 rewards are justlike the qs rewardswise and its visa (sorry yall typing on my s7 edge not my pc so my typing sucks today.

Wise decision to keep three cards open.  Three cards, three lenders, this is looking good. Congratulations on trimming the fat! And yes, I agree with toy, DISCOVER ROCKS!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 48 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you OP, and I like your three keeper cards too. (I'd keep a QS over Venture but that's just me, but I would keep Cap1) 

I have 6 cards and plan on getting more fore sure. For whatever reason I have zero desire to spend just because I have cards. I never use them as a credit card, they are debit cards to me. I never run a balance, I do no spending that I cannot pay off right away. There a tons of things I want, but using credit literally never crosses my mind so I have no issues having the credit available to me. I know that is not the case for many so it is better to not have them then and good for them knowing that!

I too would keep Discover, I love them. I have only ran into one single place that does not accept them, a local papa murphys. They closed, I bet that is why, not taking discover! Smiley Happy I know I never went back after that one time....

Message 49 of 64
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good for you.  You do what is BEST for you as only you knows what your spending habits are.

Still isn't a good idea though..... Util% wise unless you're spending so little or have high limits on those cards. You also can pay it off before it reports.... but still

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 50 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.